The Skyward teacher app allows teachers to launch the app from within a course, and sync graded items and grades from Schoology to Skyward. Instructors can configure Skyward grade settings to ensure that grade calculations match between both platforms.
Note that the Schoology Skyward integration only supports the passback of traditional grades by mapping grading categories between the two systems. The Schoology Skyward integration does not currently the passback of a standards-based gradebook, and there is not currently a way to map graded items in Schoology to the Subjects or Skills in the Skyward SBG Gradebook.
Read the instructions below to install and configure your Skyward app in your Schoology course.
Installation (for System Admins)
The System Admin can install the app to all courses in the school. Once installed, the teachers can configure and sync the app in their individual courses.
To install the app, the System Admin can navigate to the App Center on the left side of the home page and follow these steps:
Desde el Centro de aplicaciones situado en el menú de la izquierda de la página de inicio:
- Haga clic en el área Aplicaciones escolares en la parte superior de la página.
- Click on the Install/Remove button to the right of the Skyward app.
- Check the box to install the app to All Courses. We also recommend that you check the "Course Admins Only" option so that the app is only accessible to the instructor administering each course.
- Envíe el formulario para completar el procedimiento.
Once the form is saved, all courses in your schools mapped to Skyward will have the Skyward teacher app in the left menu of the course profile.
Configuration (For instructors)
In the Configuration tab of the Schoology Skyward app, Course Admins map grading categories from Skyward to Schoology. The Configuration tab of the Skyward app in your Schoology course acts as the master grade setup area that can ensure grade calculations in both systems are the same.
To get started, you need to first set up your categories in your Skyward gradebook. Then, launch the Skyward app in your Schoology course to set up the categories and sync graded items.
To set up the sync between your Skyward gradebook and Schoology gradebook:
- In your Skyward account, navigate to the Gradebook that corresponds to your Schoology course
- Click Categories along the top
- Click Add/Edit Categories if you need to create new categories. Skip this step if this is done for you at the System level, or if you’ve already set up your categories in Skyward
- Click Change Scoring Method to choose the way in which your grades will be calculated.
- Choose “Use total points to calculate grades” or “Base grades on percents assigned to categories”.
If you check “Base grades on percentages assigned to categories” in Skyward, the weights assigned to each category will automatically transfer over to your Schoology categories when you map your categories in this screen.
Once you’ve completed steps 1-5 above, and your Skyward gradebook is set up the way you would like it, log into Schoology.
- Navigate to the Schoology course that corresponds to the course you’ve configured in Skyward
- Click on the Schoology Skyward app on the left side of your course
- Click the Configuration tab
- To create new Schoology categories to sync with the categories you’ve created in Skyward, click +Create New Schoology Category from the dropdown menu to the right of the Skyward category.
Or, if you created Schoology Grading Categories ahead of time in Grade Set Up, and you can select the Schoology Grading Category you would like to map to from the drop down.
Once you have mapped each of your Skyward categories to a Schoology course category, scroll to the bottom and click Save Configuration.
Syncing Graded Items
If you have the Live Sync enabled, graded items in Schoology will automatically sync to your Skyward gradebook.
To create and grade an item that you want to appear in both your Schoology and Skyward gradebooks, create a new material using the Add Material. In the Create form, align the item with a grading category that is mapped to Skyward and assign it a due date that falls within the current grading period.
While grades may automatically sync from Schoology to Skyward (based on the configuration set in the Admin App), teachers can use the Sync Grades tab to manually sync items. Press the Sync button to the right of each item to push the Schoology assignment and its associated grades over to your Skyward gradebook.
"When synced, this item will be given a due date in Skyward based on the last day of the grading term"
This means the item you are attempting to sync has a due date that is outside of the start and end dates of the grading period for your course in Skyward, or is missing a due date altogether.
"Ungraded items cannot be synced with Skyward."
This means the item you are attempting to sync is missing a grading category in Schoology, and is therefore considered "(Ungraded)" and cannot be synced. Change the grading category to one that is mapped to Skyward in order to sync the assignment to your Skyward gradebook.