The Advisor/Advisee tool allows faculty members with Advisor access to monitor their Advisees’ enrollments, grades, attendance, and schedule.
Any user with the System Admin role has Advisor access to any student within their school/building. As the System Admin, you can enable the Advisor Access permission for all users in a given Role in your Schoology Enterprise account. This grants all users within a given role Advisor Access for all students in their school/building.
Alternatively, you can designate Advisor/Advisee pairs on an ad hoc basis or via the Import tool. This gives faculty members Advisor Access only for students who have been paired with them as Advisees.
What Can Advisors See?
Advisors can use the Advisees tab on the left side of their home screen to look up individual students to see the student’s enrollments, calendar, attendance and grades.
To look up an Advisee's information, faculty members with Advisor Access can click on the Advisees tab on the left side of their home page and search the student's name.
In the Summary tab, the faculty member in the advisor role can see a list of the student's course enrollments, the groups the student is a part of, and the same assignments and events the student sees in his or her Upcoming column.
How to Enable Advisor Access
You can enable the Advisor Access permission for a role under Manage Users>Permission to give all users in a particular role advisor access to all students. To enable Advisor access for all users in a given role, follow these steps:
- Click Manage Users
- Click Permissions
- Check the box in the Advisor Access row in the column corresponding to a specific Role, under the Administration Setting section of this page.
- Click Save Permissions
Or, you can create advisor/advisee pairings so that advisors can look up only their advisees using the advisor tool.
Creating Advisor/Advisee Pairs
Instead of enabling the Advisor Access permission for all users in a certain role, you can enable Advisor Access for certain staff and student pairings in the Manage Users area of your System Admin account. To create Advisor/Advisee pairs on an ad hoc basis, follow these steps:
- Click Manage Users
- Select the Parent/Advisors tab
- Search for the student who will act as the Advisee
- To the right of the student’s name, click Advisor
- Enter the name of the staff or faculty member who will act as the student’s advisor
- Click Save Changes
Importing Advisor/Advisee Associations
As the System Admin, you can import Advisor/Advisee associations in bulk by uploading a .csv file in Manage Users.
Before you begin, you need a two-column file that matches the Unique ID of the advisor to the Unique Id of their child. Each row denotes a advisor/advisee pair. Then, to create the association between the Advisors and their students:
- Click the Manage Users tab on the left side of the Home page in your System Admin account
- Select the Parents/Advisors tab along the top
- Click Options
- Select Import under Associations
- Select Advisor from the dropdown
- Upload your .csv file
- Select the correct columns in your file from the dropdown menu so that the Advisor' Unique IDs and Students' Unique IDs are mapped accordingly
Click Preview to review the associations, and then run the import.