Since Schoology announced they would transition from the old assessment tool to the new one, I decided to go ahead and make my final exam using the new assessment. Unfortunately, it has caused a number of issues, but there are also some nice aspects.
- Much easier to copy previous questions and slightly edit them to make new questions.
- Many more question types available.
- Allows for full screen, which makes it easier to ensure all students are where they're supposed to be during an assessment'
- Flagging questions for review
- Creating questions takes much longer - Once I click something or save something, I have to wait for the loading arrows to complete before I move on.
- No Spanish (or other languages) keyboard - As a Spanish teacher, I highly depended on this to allow my students to write the language correctly. I understand they can install the keyboard on their device, but using this tool inside Schoology was so much simpler than forcing students to learn the Spanish keyboard.
- Grading one question at a time not available - I can't open one question and grade all students' answers to that question at once.
- Grading in general - In order to grade, I have to click on each student, and scrolling to the question(s) that needed graded is difficult. The scroll is hidden under the bar at the top. In summary, scrolling is very tedious.
- Saving grades - Schoology is not easily saving the score I enter next to a question. I have to watch and wait for the little circular arrow to complete to ensure it will save.
- Rubrics open to the right and cover up part of the written answer. There is no adjustment for this. Previously, I could at least scroll a little and get the student's answer to appear below the rubric.
- Difficult to transition from the beginning to the end of the test or vice versa. Students are forced to click over and over (for longer assessments) to transitions back and forth throughout the assessment.
- Directions for a section cannot appear at the top unless you intentionally type them into the question box.
Please make adjustments to the new assessment tool. Carrying over features previously used in the old assessment tool is critical.