Use Remind as an external tool to enable instructors to message their students and share content all directly within their Schoology course.
Organizations with a Remind license can add Remind as an external tool in Schoology at the system level for instructors to use in their courses. Instructors can connect their individual Remind accounts to Schoology and access all of their classes and participants. Learn more about Remind here.
This article covers how to install and configure Remind as an External Tool for your organization.
Table of Contents
- System-Level Installation and Configuration (System Admins)
- Accessing System-Level External Tools (Instructors)
- Creating Remind Materials in Your Schoology Course (Instructors)
System-Level Installation and Configuration (System Admins)
System administrators can install Remind at the system level and configure it with your school’s licensing information as provided by Remind so that it will be available to your instructors in their Schoology courses.
- Click Tools.
- Select School Management.
- Click Integration.
- Click External Tools.
- Click Add External Tool Provider.
- Fill out the form with your licensing information:
Note: Learn more about obtaining Remind credentials here.
- Tool Name: Enter the name as you want it to display to your instructors.
- Consumer Key: Enter your organization's Remind consumer key.
- Shared Secret: Enter your organization's Remind shared secret.
- Privacy: Select Send Name and Email/Username of user who launches the tool.
- Configuration Type: Select Manual.
- Match By: Select Domain.
- Domain/URL: Enter the Config XML generate credential to generate URL.
- Custom Parameters: N/A
Accessing System-Level External Tools (Instructors)
Once the System Admin has completed the steps above in System-Level Installation and Configuration, the Remind external tool will be automatically populated into the External Tool area of each course. To access this area, click Course Options below the profile photo and then select External Tool Providers.
Here, Course Admins will see a list of the external tools available to them.
Creating Remind Materials in Your Schoology Course (Instructors)
To add a new item to your course that you would like to sync with Remind:
- Within your course, click Add Materials then select Add File/Link/External Tool.
- Click External Tool.
- Select Remind from the Tool Provider drop-down menu.
Note: If you do not see Remind as an option, it may not have been configured for your organization. Contact your Support Contact with any questions.
- Enter Remind in the Title field.
- Enter https://www.remind.com/LTI in the URL field.
- Click Submit to create the item.
- You will now see Remind in your course Materials. To finish, connect your Remind account. You will remain logged in as long as you're logged in to Remind online.