I manually enrolled a student in a course that is not included in the SIS enrollments sync. Each night the student is unenrolled following the automatic enrollments sync from the SIS. How do I keep a student enrolled in a course outside of the SIS sync?
Since the course is synced with your SIS, any student added to that course who is not included in the SIS is automatically unenrolled after the daily sync.
To prevent students outside of your SIS from being unenrolled, you can create a non-synced copy of the course and enroll the student there. Use the Copy Section option in the My Courses area to create a copy of the synced course section, including the course materials. Once the section is copied, you can link it to the synced section. After that, the student can join the non-synced section using the automatically generated new access code.
Follow the steps below to complete this process.
Step 1—Create a copy of the synced course section
Use the Copy Section option to create a clone of an existing section you have created under the course. This option copies over the course materials you've built out in the existing section. This is a good way to add a new class with the same materials, but a different roster of students. Since this operation also copies your existing materials and content, check your Transfer History to follow the progress of the section copy.
- Click Courses in the header.
- Click My Courses in the top right corner of the drop-down menu.
- Click the gear icon to the right of the section you'd like to copy.
- Select Copy Section from the drop-down menu.
- Complete the Copy Course Section form.
- Click Copy.
Step 2—Link the two course sections
- Click Courses in the header and select My Courses.
- In your list of courses, click the gear icon to the right of the section that is the synced section or "master section".
- Select Link Existing Sections from the drop-down menu.
- Select the section to link and click Next.
- As a safeguard against losing grade data for child sections, you must select to download a grade export file for the section being linked. Since you will be linking a newly created section, there will be no grade data and the downloaded file will be empty.
- Select the file type to download:
- As a Standard CSV spreadsheet.
- As a CSV file that you can use to import into other systems, such as an SIS.
- Click Download and Next.
- Click Link Sections.
- A warning message displays:
"Materials from (section name) will not be copied into: (section name). Once complete, the sections will share: grade setup, materials, and course profile (of the destination section). Member enrollments will still belong to their respective sections."
This means that the section for which you clicked the gear icon will be the master section. The linked (non synced) section will now have access to and use the materials in the synced section (master section). This includes course materials and items in your Grade Setup (such as Grading Categories, Rubrics, etc). However, the original rosters of students when the sections were separate will remain the same after you link the sections.
- Click Link Sections.
Step 3—Student joins the non-synced section
Use the Access Code for the non-synced section to distribute to the student and enable them to join the course.
The access code is located on the left menu of the course profile or from the right panel in the Members area.