This article troubleshoots common errors that might cause items to be moved from the default view of the gradebook.
Option 1 - Check the Recycle Bin
Deleted items are stored in your course's Recycle Bin.
To restore deleted items from the Recycle Bin:
- Navigate to your course.
- Click Course Options below the course profile picture.
- Select Recycle Bin.
- Hover your mouse over the row corresponding to the deleted item in question.
- Click the gear icon.
- Select Restore to.
- Choose the folder you want the item restored to (Optional - if none is selected, the item will appear in Materials, at the bottom of the list).
- Click Restore.
Any grades associated with the item will be restored to the gradebook as well.
Option 2 - Check the Item's Settings
Use Bulk Edit to check for settings that might have caused the item to disappear from your default gradebook view. Items must be assigned a grading category and a grading period to appear in the default gradebook view. Additionally, the default gradebook view is of the current grading period so you may also use the filters at the top of the gradebook to check for items located under grading categories or grading periods not included in the default view.
The Bulk Edit feature can be accessed from the gradebook. This feature allows you to adjust settings associated with graded assessments, assignments, tests/quizzes, and discussions from a single page.
To access Bulk Edit from the gradebook:
- Click Courses in the top menu.
- Click the desired course and select Gradebook from the left menu.
- Click the three vertical dots icon in the top right corner.
- Select Bulk Edit from the drop-down menu.
From the Bulk Edit view, you can make sure that your items are associated with the correct Grading Period and Category:
The Bulk Edit feature displays the following information for graded items in a course:
- The name of the item.
- A checkbox to publish or unpublish the item.
- The grading category with which the item is associated.
- The Max pts value of the item.
- The Factor of the item.
- The grading scale or rubric with which the item is associated.
- The due date of the item.
- The grading period with which the item is associated.
If an item is not associated with a grading category (Ungraded), it will not appear in the default view of the gradebook. If an item is associated with a grading category, but is not associated with the current grading period, it will not appear in the default view of the gradebook. If you need to make any adjustments to the grading category or grading period in the Bulk Edit area, select the desired settings and click Save Changes to complete
Option 3 - Check if the item has been fully graded
Check if there are any subjective questions in an Assessment or Test/Quiz that still have to be graded. Subjective questions are questions that need to be manually graded, such as Short Answer/Essay questions. If the subjective questions have not been graded, students will not have received an overall grade for the assessment or test/quiz and the grade will not appear in the gradebook.
Any subjective questions that remain to be graded will be labeled Needs Grading within the Grading tab of an assessment.
From the Grade by Question view, it will be marked in the Average Score column.
From the Grade by Student view, it will be marked in the Status column.
Asterisks (*) indicate that a question still needs to be graded within the Results tab of a test/quiz.
- Click View by Question.
- Click View Responses for any subjective questions.
- Click the asterisk to manually enter in a grade or complete grading directly in the submission.
Option 4 - Use Track Revisions
Track Revisions can be used for Assignments and Discussions to view grades previously entered.
In the gradebook, Track Revisions shows changes made to grades for assignments and discussions, as well as the date and time stamp for when the change was made.
To access Track Revisions, open the gradebook and follow these steps:
- Locate the assignment or discussion.
- Click the three vertical dots to the right of the material title.
- Select Track Revisions.
- Select a student.
Click the Revert link to the right of a specific grade to replace the currently published grade with the selected grade in Track Revisions.