Mastery and standards-based grading are being implemented in many districts across the world. As classrooms evolve towards teaching and evaluating students with an eye on skill mastery, districts are looking for tools to help enable this transformation, measure student learning, and assess the efficacy of instruction.
The new District Mastery solution within Schoology is designed for districts who:
- Have a centralized model for defining and managing what standards, learning objectives, and competencies are taught in their classrooms
- Are looking for a way to standardize grading practices across their district
Districts looking to take advantage of this solution can be at any phase of their standards-based grading or mastery roll out! District Mastery is currently an opt-in feature that a district can choose to roll out to a select group of buildings or to the district as a whole. Whether your district is just getting started or years in and looking for a better way to manage standards-based grading in your district, please review this ebook if you’d like to learn more: Standards-Based Gradebook: How To Get Started
One of the primary challenges we’ve witnessed in working with districts is a lack of consistency between classrooms in how mastery is being implemented, assessed, and tracked. Ultimately, this can lead to a lot of data on a single student that is disjointed from year to year and results that are very class-specific.
Students and parents need to learn a new method of tracking success each year, and teachers have no visibility into the current mastery levels of their new students at the start of a year. For administrators, this type of tracking makes it difficult to keep track of what is going on across the district.
In response to these common pitfalls, the Schoology District Mastery solution ensures that:
- Your entire district will share one library of learning objectives
- All learning objectives must have the same number of organizational levels, or parent objectives, across the district
- Your entire district will share one mastery scale and calculation method
Otherwise, how your district decides to organize your learning objective hierarchy and your mastery scale is completely customizable!