Students can use the text highlighting tool to emphasize key information in the text they are reading in multiple colors while answering questions on an assessment. Instructors can’t see highlights, and they do not persist after students submit their attempts.
Enable Text Highlighting for an Assessment
Text highlighting must be enabled in the settings for the entire assessment. The setting is disabled by default.
In a course-level assessment, you can enable the text highlighting with the following steps:
- Click the assessment and toggle into the Setup tab.
- Scroll to the Assessment Toolbar section.
- In the field Students can highlight text, select Yes.
- Click Save at the bottom of the page to complete.
To enable text highlighting for a managed assessment in AMP, use the following steps:
- Click Resources at the top of the page.
- Click Assessment in the left menu to open AMP.
- Click the gear icon to the right of the managed assessment.
- Select Edit from the drop-down menu.
- Click Settings in the top right corner of the managed assessment.
- In the Highlight Text field, select Yes.
- Click Confirm to complete.
Instructors with the ability to preview the assessment experience can test out the highlight capability during the preview of an assessment or managed assessment.
Highlight Text during an Assessment
To highlight, students can double-click a single word or drag their cursor over a phrase, sentence, or paragraph. The highlight tool appears when dragging the cursor from left-to-right or vice versa. On touchscreen devices, including the Schoology mobile apps, students can highlight words by tapping or selecting them.
When the highlight option appears, there is a drop-down option to select from one of four colors. Students can switch between the four colors at any time.
Note that the four colors available for highlighting reflect the accessibility setting chosen by the student. For example, if the student uses the accessibility tools to change the color scheme of the assessment, the highlight color options will adjust accordingly:
Remove highlight from text
Text remains highlighted as students progress across questions within the assessment, including when they resume an assessment attempt.
To un-highlight text, click the highlighted text and click the Remove option the pops up:
Which question types are supported for Text Highlighting?
While text highlighting is enabled at the assessment-level, highlighting is not supported in the following areas in order to avoid confusion when answering certain questions:
1. All drag and drop responses (the question stimulus is highlightable):
- Fill-In-The-Blank Drag and Drop
- Label Image
- Number Line
2. Charting area of chart question type (the question stimulus is highlightable)
3. Highlight text question type
4. All student-created text:
- Short Answer/Essay responses
- Math Short Answer responses
- Fill-In-The-Blank Text responses