If your school is using the Schoology SIS Connect app to provision users, courses, and enrollments into Schoology, your System Admin can install the Schoology SIS Connect app to your course to sync Schoology grades to your SIS Gradebook.
This article outlines how to configure and use the Schoology SIS Connect app in your Schoology courses to sync grades and graded items over to your SIS gradebook.
- How does the System Admin install the app in courses?
- How do teachers configure the app in their Schoology course?
- What information is transferred from Schoology to my SIS?
- How do teachers sync grades?
- Important Notes
- Frequently Asked Questions
The Schoology SIS Connect app is installed in your Schoology course so that you can sync grades from your Schoology gradebook to your SIS gradebook.
You can use the SIS Connect app in your course to determine which categories in your Schoology gradebook correspond with the categories in your SIS gradebook. You can also use the app to manually sync grades from Schoology to your SIS.
How does the System Admin install the app in courses?
System Admins can install the app with the following steps:
- Click the Apps icon (four squares) in the top navigation of Schoology.
- Click App Center in the drop-down menu.
- Click Organization Apps at the top of the page.
- Click Install/Remove to the right of the Schoology SIS Connect app.
- Select the box to install the app to All Courses. We also recommend that you enable the box to make the app available to Course Admins Only.
- Submit to complete.
Once the form is saved, all courses in your schools mapped to your SIS have the Schoology SIS Connect app in the left menu of the course profile.
The Course Admins Only configuration enables only enrolled Course Admins (teachers) to launch the app from the course. System Admin cannot configure the app or sync graded items on behalf of the teacher unless they are directly enrolled in the course.
How do teachers configure the app?
- First, click the Schoology SIS Connect app from the left menu of your course.
- When the app is launched for the first time, it will ask for your approval.
- Begin by saving your category settings in the Configuration tab of the app:
- Map your SIS Connect Course Categories to the Schoology Course Categories: When creating graded materials in Schoology, assign a Category to each item. When items sync back to your SIS gradebook, they will be assigned to categories in your SIS based on the mapping in this area.
Note: You can map more than one Schoology grading category to a single grading category in your SIS.
- Click Save Configuration to apply your changes.
- If your sections are linked in Schoology, you must configure the SIS Connect teacher app in each of the sections. Once you have configured the first section, click Save Configuration, then click on the section drop-down menu to toggle into a different section to continue configuration.
If you have not yet created any Schoology Course Categories in the Grade Setup area of your Schoology course.
You can create a new category from the SIS Connect app with the following steps:
- Select (Create New Schoology Category) in the drop-down menu.
- Click Save Configuration.
- This will create the category in the Grade Setup area of the Schoology course.
What information is transferred from Schoology to my SIS?
The following information will be sent to your SIS:
- The name of the graded item. Each graded item must have a unique name within the course.
- The due date for the graded item. Please make sure your Schoology assignments have due dates within the grading period to ensure your grade sync is successful.
- The grading category the item belongs to, as established by the Course Admin in the Configuration area of the SIS Connect app.
- The numeric score a student received on the graded item.
How do teachers sync grades?
Syncing grades from the Schoology SIS Connect app
Once the configuration settings are saved, teachers can view the status of graded items and grades from the Sync Grades area of the app. The column on the left displays the title of the graded item. The columns in the middle display the timestamp of the last successful sync and the status of the last sync.
The Action column on the right allows you to sync individual items. To sync all new or updated items in the course at once, click Sync Changes in the top right corner.
- Successful — This means that the item was successfully synced to the SIS gradebook.
- Queued — A sync has been initiated and is waiting to process.
- Error — There was a problem with the sync. Hover over this indicator for specific details.
- Not yet synced — A sync has not yet been initiated since the item was created in Schoology.
If a graded item or grade has not yet appeared in your SIS Gradebook, you can navigate to this area of the app and click on the Sync icon or on Sync Changes to manually resend the information to your SIS.
If there has been an error in the sync, a red message icon will appear. Hovering over the icon displays a message that details the error.
Syncing grades from the Gradebook
You can also sync grades and access logs directly from the grade book by selecting the sync and log icons along the top:
Above: The one-click sync button to sync changes to all items to the SIS Gradebook.
Below: The clipboard icon to navigate to the sync logs in the SIS Connect app from the Schoology Gradebook.
- Currently, only assignment grades are supported as part of the gradebook sync. Grading scales, weights, attendance will not be passed over to your SIS.
- Due date may be a required field in your SIS, but not in Schoology. Please make sure your Schoology assignments have due dates within the term to ensure your grade sync is successful.
- If an item is ungraded in Schoology, meaning it is not associated with a grading category, it will not sync to your SIS. For organizations using SIS Connect with Synergy, the item will still sync to your SIS under a generic category, depending on your SIS settings. Teachers that wish to exclude items from syncing should use the Sync to SIS option in each item.
- When you've assigned an exception code in the Schoology gradebook, the SIS Connect sync passes back the OneRoster ScoreStatus. How these exceptions will appear in your SIS gradebook depends on your SIS provider. Please work with them for more information on what is supported and what to expect:
Schoology Exception Code
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens if I delete course material from Schoology?
If an assignment is deleted from Schoology, it will no longer be updated in subsequent syncs from the SIS Connect app. However, the item will still appear in your SIS gradebook.
If I restore a deleted material from Schoology, will the sync still work?
Yes. If you restore deleted materials from the Course Recycle Bin, the next time you Sync Changes from Schoology, it will effectively “reconnect” based on the item's unique ID and start updating the material in the SIS again.
Should I make changes directly in the SIS gradebook? If so, will they be reflected in Schoology?
No. Graded items created and updated in your SIS will not be transferred to Schoology. We strongly recommend that you maintain Schoology as the master source for changes to grade data. In order to provide a consistent data model for your school, all grade changes should be managed from Schoology.
How does the sync handle unpublished materials in Schoology?
The ability to publish or unpublish materials in Schoology does not determine the sync status of an item. Learn more about unpublishing materials in Schoology here: Why do students see a different Overall Grade than I do?
Materials that are unpublished in Schoology are still synced and created in your SIS gradebook. If you want to prevent specific materials from syncing back to your SIS, you may wish to speak to your System Administrator about SIS Grade Passback: Selectively Sync Graded Items to your SIS Gradebook
Can I sync comments on graded items? If so, will the comments be visible to students or hidden from students based on the setting in Schoology?
Yes, comments under 100 characters on graded materials are supported in the sync of grades from the SIS Connect app.
Can I sync items with titles longer than 50 characters?
Yes, but this may depend on your SIS and their character count limitations.