Requiring Passwords for Assessments
Within course assessments and managed assessments, course admins can enable a password that students will be required to enter before beginning a test.
Instructors can set a password by editing the assessment:
- Click the Actions button on the upper right of the assessment.
- Click the drop-down menu in the Password field.
- Select Enable to open a field to type a password.
- Type the password that students must enter to begin a new attempt or resume an existing attempt on the assessment.
- Click Save Changes to complete.
- The password setting defaults to Disable.
- Passwords must be at least five characters and cannot exceed 50 characters.
- Passwords do not require any special characters.
- Passwords are case sensitive.
- Spaces entered at the beginning or end of the password are removed, but spaces in between valid characters are saved.
Instructors can change or remove the password at any time. If a password is changed while students are in progress with a test, they will be able to continue their current sessions without interruption. If a student refreshes the page or leaves the test for any reason, they will be prompted to enter the password again in order to resume the attempt. If the password has changed, they will need to enter the new password.
Instructors with linked sections can control the assessment password for each section. The password setting in linked sections works the same way as the setting to enable or disable submissions.
To set one password for all linked sections in a set, use the All Sections option:
To set different passwords for specific sections in a linked set, click Select Sections to Customize to choose passwords for each section individually.
Instructors can also require a password in one or multiple sections, and not require a password in others.
When an assessment requires a password, students are prompted to enter the password any time they are starting a new attempt or resuming an existing one.
When a student enters the correct password and clicks Start, they can successfully begin or resume an attempt.