If your school is using the Aeries SIS app to provision users, courses, and enrollments into Schoology, your System Admin can install the Aeries SIS teacher app to your course to sync Schoology grades to your Aeries Gradebook.
This article outlines how to configure and use the Aeries SIS teacher app in your Schoology course to sync your grades and graded items over to your Aeries gradebook.
- How does the System Admin install the app in courses?
- How do teachers configure the app in their Schoology course?
- What information is transferred from Schoology to Aeries?
- How do teachers sync grades?
- Anything else I should know?
The Aeries SIS teacher app is installed in your Schoology course so that you can sync grades from your Schoology gradebook to your Aeries gradebook.
Use the Aeries SIS teacher app in your course to determine which categories in your Schoology gradebook correspond with the categories in your Aeries gradebook. You can also use the app to manually sync grades from Schoology to Aeries.
How does the System Admin install the app in courses?
From the App Center on the left menu of the Homepage:
- Click Organization Apps at the top of the page.
- Click Install/Remove to the right of the Aeries SIS app.
- Select the box to install the app to All Courses. We also recommend that you enable the box to make the app available to Course Admins Only.
- Submit to complete.
Once the form is saved, all courses in your schools mapped to Aeries have the Aeries SIS app in the left menu of the course profile.
The Course Admins Only configuration enables only enrolled Course Admins (teachers) to launch the app from the course. System Admin cannot configure the app or sync graded items on behalf of the teacher.
How do teachers configure the app?
- First, open the Aeries SIS teacher app on the left hand side of your course.
- When the app is launched for the first time, it will ask for your approval.
- Begin by saving your category settings in the Configuration tab of the app.
- Map your Schoology grading categories to the corresponding Aeries grading categories.
- Depending on the grading categories in the course, teachers can map more than one Schoology grading category to a single Aeries grading category.
- Click Save Configuration to apply your changes.
- If your sections are linked in Schoology, you need to configure the Aeries SIS teacher app in each of the sections. Once you have configured the first section, click Save Configuration, then click on the section drop-down menu to toggle into a different section to continue configuration.
If you have not yet created any Schoology Course Categories in the Grade Setup area of your Schoology course.
You can create a new category with the following steps:
- Select (Create New Schoology Category) in the drop-down menu.
- Click Save Configuration.
- This will create the category in the Grade Setup area of the course.
What information is transferred from Schoology to Aeries?
The following information will be sent to Aeries:
- The name of the graded item. Each graded item must have a unique name within the course.
- The due date for the graded item. Due date is a required field in Aeries, but not in Schoology. Please make sure your Schoology assignments have due dates within the term to ensure your grade sync is successful.
- The grading category the item belongs to, as established by the System Admin, or by the teacher in the Configuration area of the app.
- The numeric score a student received on the graded item.
How do teachers sync grades?
Syncing grades from the Aeries SIS app
Once the configuration settings are saved, teachers can view the status of graded items and grades from the Sync Grades area of the app. The column on the left displays the title of the graded item. The columns in the middle display the timestamp of the last successful sync and the status of the last sync.
The Action column on the right allows you to sync individual items. To sync all new or updated items in the course at once, click Sync Changes in the top right corner.
- Successful – This means that the item was successfully synced to the SIS gradebook.
- Queued – A sync has been initiated and is waiting to process.
- Error – There was a problem with the sync. Hover over this indicator for specific details.
- Not yet synced – A sync has not yet been initiated since the item was created in Schoology.
If a graded item or grade has not yet appeared in the Aeries Gradebook, you can navigate to this area of the app and click on the Sync icon or on Sync Changes to manually resend the information to Aeries.
If there has been an error in the sync, a red message icon will appear. Hovering over the icon displays a message that details the error.
Syncing grades from the Gradebook
You can also sync grades and access logs directly from the grade book by selecting the sync and log icons along the top:
Above: The one-click sync button to sync changes to all items to the Aeries Gradebook.
Below: The clipboard icon to navigate to the sync logs in the Aeries SIS app from the Schoology Gradebook.
Other things to note
- Currently only assignment grades are supported as part of the gradebook sync. Grading scales, weights, attendance will not be passed over to Aeries.
- Due date is a required field in Aeries, but not in Schoology. Please make sure your Schoology assignments have due dates within the term to ensure your grade sync is successful.
- If an item is ungraded in Schoology, meaning it is not associated with a grading category, it will not sync to Aeries.
- The exception code of Excused will transfer to the Aeries Gradebook as N/A and will not count against the student's average.
- The exception codes Missing and Incomplete pass back as a zero.