The Google Drive Assignments app enables your instructor to assign Google Docs, Spreadsheets, Slideshows, and Drawings from directly within Schoology. Once assigned, you can automatically create copies of the assignment to complete and submit. Your instructor can then provide feedback and grade the assignment. Google Drive Assignments can be accessed via a web browser or the Schoology mobile app.
Using the Google Drive Assignments App: Web
- If you have trouble or receive an error when viewing the assignment, ensure that third party cookies are not being blocked on the device or browser used to access Google Drive assignments.
- When accessing a Google Drive assignment, you must be logged in to your Google Drive account in order to create a copy of the assigned file.
The student view of the Google Drive assignment displays the Assignment and My Document tabs.
In the Assignment tab, you can:
- See the due date and time.
- See the assignment Description.
- Review a rubric if one is being used to grade the assignment.
Click My Document to create your own copy of the original Google file your instructor attached to the assignment. This copy will then be shared between you and your instructor. The file will also be placed and organized in your Google Drive.
Submitting Google Drive Assignments
Once you have authorized the Google Drive Assignments app and logged in to your Google Drive account through your browser, you can edit your file from within Schoology.
Click Submit Assignment at the top of the document to submit.
You will no longer be able to edit the Google file after submitting the assignment. Your instructor may unsubmit your work which will allow you to re-gain edit access to the file and continue working on the assignment.
View grades for your Google Drive assignment from the My Document area:
Click Comments in the upper-right corner of the assignment to view any comments posted by your instructor:
Using the Google Drive Assignments App: Mobile
- Your mobile device must have version 4.2 or later of the Schoology iOS app or version 5.1 or later of the Schoology Android app installed in order to access assignments created via the Google Drive Assignment app.
- We recommend downloading Google mobile apps (Google Drive, Docs & Sheets) if you plan to access Google Drive assignments from Schoology on your mobile device.
Access assignments created via the Google Drive Assignments app from the materials page of your course, as you would any other course material. When you open the assignment, you will see a similar view as you would on the web browser.
To access your copy of the assigned file:
- Tap My Document in the Schoology mobile app.
- Tap the file icon in the center of the screen.
- To open the file, tap Open in App. This launches the file in the respective Google app on your mobile device.
In this example, the student is launching the Google Docs app on their tablet by tapping Open in app. The student's file will launch in the Google Docs app, where they can view and edit their own copy of the assignment file. When the work is complete, tap Schoology in the upper-left corner of the screen to return to the Schoology app.
Tap Submit to submit the Google file to your instructor. Keep in mind that once you have submitted the assignment you no longer have edit access to the Google file. Contact your instructor if you need to make changes to your submission.