The Chart question type enables students to review, create, or manipulate different kinds of charts in response to a question prompt.
Enter your question into the Question Setup field. Use the Rich Text Editor which appears when you click into the field to apply formatting such as bold and italics, or to insert images or tables. Hover your mouse over the individual icons to view the tooltip explaining the function of each button.
Below the Question Setup field you can specify additional chart parameters:
- Title–Add a name for the chart.
- Max Y Axis–Set the highest value for the Y axis.
- X-Axis and Y-Axis Title–Add labels for the axes.
In the X-Axis Setup area, you can set values for the points on the X axis of the graph:
- Label–Add a label for each chart bars.
- Value–Select the initial value at which to set the point when students see the question.
- Interactive–Select if you want to enable students to change the value of the point (that is, to drag the point up or down along the Y axis).
Click +Points to add more points to the chart. Click the X icon beside a point to remove it.
Correct Answer Setup & Scoring Options
Set the correct answer in Correct Answer Setup.
The chart you created in Question Setup displays in the Correct tab. Drag each point to its correct value.
Add a Correct Response Threshold to set a distance from the correct answer which a student can set the point and still receive credit. For example, if the correct value for one chart point is 50, and you set the threshold to 5, a student can set the point anywhere from 45-55 and receive credit for a correct answer.
Click Ignore Order if students may ignore the order of the points in the chart.
Additional Setup Options
Select more chart attributes in the Additional Setup Options area.
Choose from one of five alternatives in the Chart Type menu:
|Bar Chart||Line Chart|
|Histogram Chart||Histogram with Line Point enabled|
|Dot Plot Chart||Line Plot Chart|
Select the interval at which students can set the point in the Snap to Points box. For example, add 5 to enable students to set the points at intervals of 5 units.
If your chart is a histogram you can:
- Display or remove X and Y gridlines on the chart in the Gridlines menu.
- Check the Line Plot Chart box to have each the bars in the histogram chart display in different colors. Unchecking this box displays all boxes in the chart in one uniform color.
Set additional options for students interacting with chart points:
- Add New Points–Enable students to add new points to the chart by clicking the Add Data button which displays in the question.
- Edit Point Label–Enable students to edit the data point labels.
- Delete Point–Enable students to delete a data point.
- Reorder Points–Enable students to re-order the data points. This setting is not available for line charts.
Author Notes only display to members of your AMP team and those evaluating the results. This information does not display to students.
Align Learning Objectives
Click Learning Objectives to open the Learning Objectives browser window. Click Browse/Search to find and add specific objectives, or click Manage for objectives already aligned to the question.
Once you finish editing the question, click Save. To see how the question will appear to a student taking it in an assessment, click Preview Question. To exit the preview screen and return to the question editor, click Edit Question.