About Course Section Linking
With Schoology Enterprise, you have the option to link the sections of any course together. Course section linking is a great way to manage all sections of a course more efficiently.
When sections are linked, they all share the same set of materials and grade setup. This means you only need to create materials and set up your gradebook once, even when you teach multiple sections of the same course. Linked sections also have toggles you can use to switch between each section instantly, so you can keep the sections separate while enjoying a more streamlined workflow.
As a System Admin, you must first set up the Link and Unlink sections permission for instructors in your organization.
Before you enabled this functionality for your faculty, we recommend reviewing the following important information about this feature. We also recommend reviewing our Instructor article, How to use Linked Sections, and sharing this with your faculty.
Important Information About Linking Sections
While you are able to link sections at any point once the permission is enabled, we recommend that you only link sections at the beginning of a school year.
- When you begin linking sessions together, the master section is the one to which you link other sections. For example, Section 1 is the master copy, while Section 2 and Section 3 become "child sections" linked to the "master" Section 1. Those that get linked will set aside any existing materials, grade settings, and data. The linked sections then replace any existing materials and grade setup with that of the master section.
- If you need to unlink your linked sections at any point during the school year, be aware that if you separate two linked sections, only the master section retains the materials, setup, grades, and data.
In order to link sections of a course:
- The sections must be within the same course. Learn more: What are Courses and Sections?
- The sections must be associated with the same grading period(s).
- Student Enrollment must be unique across the linked sections. Students cannot be enrolled in sections that are linked together.
- All sections must have the same Course Admins.
Enabling the Link and Unlink Sections Permission
To enable the Link and Unlink sections permission:
- Click Tools.
- Select User Management.
- Click Permissions.
- The Link and Unlink sections permission is in the Courses area of this page.
- Check the box corresponding to the permission Link and Unlink sections and the instructor role at your organization in order to enable instructors to link their sections together.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save Permissions.