Enabling the Link Sections Permission
As a System Admin, you must first set up the link sections permission for instructors in your organization:
To enable the link sections permission:
- Click Manage Users in the left menu of your home screen.
- Click Permissions.
- The Link sections permission is in the Courses area of this page.
- Check the box corresponding to the permission Link sections and the instructor role at your organization in order to enable instructors to link their sections together.
- Click Save Permissions at the bottom of the screen.
Note: Users with the ability to link sections can create new linked sections from the Course Options area of the original section, even if they do not have the Create course permission enabled.
Important Information About Linking Sections
- While you are able to link sections at any point once the permission is enabled, we recommend that you only link sections at the beginning of a school year. When you begin linking sessions together, the master section is the one that you link other sections to. Those that get linked will set aside any existing materials, grade settings, and data. The linked sections then replace any existing materials and grade setup with that of the master section.
Note: Users who link or unlink sections are prompted to first download a .csv export file of the grade data of affected sections.
- If you need to unlink your linked sections at any point during the school year, be aware that if you separate two linked sections, only the master section retains the materials, setup, grades, and data.
- In order to link your sections:
- The sections must be within the same Course.
- The sections must be associated with the same grading period.
- Enrollment must be unique across the linked sections. There cannot be any overlap in the students.
- The sections must have the same Course Admins.