The Schoology Assessment Management Platform supports the collaborative creation of question-based assessments and the distribution of those assessments to one or more course sections across your district or organization.
Table of Contents
- Distribution of Managed Assessments
- Configuring Managed Assessments in Course Sections
- Availability Windows
- Managed Assessments in Linked Sections
Distribution of Managed Assessments
Members of Assessment Teams at your school distribute the assessment to course sections, where Course Administrators can then incorporate it into their curriculum and gradebooks. Students take the assessment from the course materials page.
When a member of a Managed Assessment Team at an organization distributes Managed Assessments, they appear at the bottom of the Course Materials page.
By default, when an assessment is first pushed to a course, it is Unpublished (hidden from students) and submissions are disabled.
Configuring Managed Assessments in Course Sections
As the Course Admin, you determine how this assessment will affect your students’ overall grades in your course via the managed assessment settings.
To configure a managed assessment:
- Click the gear icon to the right of the assessment and click Edit. The following default settings are displayed:
- Is worth zero points in your course.
- Does not have a due date.
- Does not have a password.
- Does not belong to a grading category.
- Does not belong to a grading period.
- Has a factor of one.
- Select a Due Date so that the assessment appears on your students’ Calendars and Upcoming feeds.
- Enter a Points Value for the assessment to determine how many points the assessment is worth in your gradebook. This can be a different value than the sum of the possible points per question.
- Enable Submissions so that students can attempt and submit the assessment. There are a number of options:
- Enable — Students are able to open and take the assessment.
- Enable until — Students can take the test until the date and time you specify in the Until field that displays.
- Enable from...until — Students can begin the test after the date and time indicated in From and before the date and time in Until.
- Disable — Students cannot take the test.
- Set a Password if needed, so that students must enter it to begin the assessment. Learn more in this article.
- Assign the assessment to a Grading Category.
- Assign the assessment to a Grading Period to determine which quarter or semester you would like the assessment score to count towards. Alternatively, set the assessment to count as a Midterm or Final
- Change the Factor value to give the assessment a relatively higher or lower weight in its grading category.
- Under Options click Individually Assign to only display the assessment to one or more members of the course or a grading group.
- Under Options click the circle to Publish the assessment and make it visible to students on the course materials page. A grey circle indicates the assessment is not published and a green circle indicates the assessment is published:
- Click Save Changes to confirm any changes.
You may also Publish the assessment from the gear icon to the right of the item on the course materials page:
Alternatively, click on the assessment title to open the Assessment Details tab. Select Publish from the Actions drop-down menu in the upper right corner:
Then, click Publish from the pop-up window.
Managed Assessment Team members may set Availability Windows and/or Daily Submission Windows when distributing Managed Assessments. The Availability Window is the date and time the Managed Assessment is available to students. The Daily Submission Window is the time the assessment is accepting student submissions. Instructors can see the Availability Window and Daily Submission Window in the description under the Managed Assessment:
If you publish the Managed Assessment outside of the Availability Window, submissions will not be accepted. When students attempt to access the assessment, the following message is displayed: This activity is not currently accepting submissions and they cannot start an attempt:
If you unpublish the Managed Assessment within the Availability Window, the item is not displayed to students within the course.
Managed Assessments in Linked Sections
If you administer a course with Linked Sections, use the Availability & Due Dates option to control when students are able to see and access an assessment.
Setting Availability and Due Dates in Linked Sections
- Click on the gear icon to the right of the assessment title and select Edit:
- Click Select Sections to Customize and check the Select All box to display all the course sections.
- To publish the item in a section, select the circle next to the section name. Enter a due date and time, and enable submissions for each section:
- Click Save Changes to confirm any changes.
- Setting the Availability and Due Dates in linked sections determine when students see the assessment on their Materials page and Upcoming panel. In the above example, the green dot next to the section name indicates the assessment is published. The date and time indicate the assessment due date only and does not determine when the assessment is published.
- An availability window and/or daily submission window may have been set on the managed assessment by the Assessment Team. This determines when students can attempt and submit managed assessments. See Availability Windows for more information.