You can share your ungraded discussion with other courses. This option is located in the Advanced options at the bottom of the popup window when creating a discussion.
Note: You cannot opt to mark a discussion as a shared discussion after you have created it. The Shared Discussion icon, shown in the screenshot below, only appears when you are creating a new discussion.
To create a shared discussion:
- Click Add Materials.
- Select Add Discussion.
- Enter the title and directions as usual.
- Select the Shared Discussion icon along the Advanced row in the create screen.
- If the other section you want to share the discussion with is a section you administer, you can select other section(s) in which you would like the discussion to appear from the list. If you are not the admin of the other section(s), create the shared discussion, and then distribute the Share ID, explained below.
Note: The share ID does not appear unless the discussion is already shared with another course you administer. This is a known limitation of the Shared Discussion functionality that we are working to update.
- Do not select Enable Grading. Graded discussions cannot be shared
- Click Save.
Sharing the discussion will give the discussion a ShareID that other instructors can use to join their classes into the same discussion. You can also automatically share the discussion with your courses and sections.
Click Share with your courses to add additional sections you administer to the discussion.
Copy the Share ID number and distribute it to other instructors if you would like to share the discussion with other courses taught by others.
Joining a Shared Discussion:
If another instructor has shared their discussion's Share ID with you, you can use that to add the shared discussion to your own course, so that all of your students can collectively participate in one big discussion across sections.
To join a shared discussion:
- On your Materials, page use the Materials Filter and sort by Discussions.
Note: You must have one existing discussion in your materials for this to appear as an option.
- Click Options
- Select Join Shared Discussion
- Enter the Share ID, or the Discussion ID provided to you and the passcode if applicable
- Click Join Discussion
Limitations of Shared Discussions:
- If you do not see the option to share the discussion under Advanced, it is likely that Grading is enabled. Graded discussions cannot be shared with other courses.
- You cannot share discussions after they have been created.
- Shared discussions are not available across linked sections.