Note: Click here to review the Schoology Instructor Guide for using the Respondus LockDown Browser in Schoology courses.
The Respondus LockDown Browser (LDB) is a custom browser that instructors can use to lock down their testing environment in Schoology. Installing the app enables instructors to require that students use the LDB when taking tests and quizzes in a Schoology course.
The Respondus LockDown Browser opens the test in full-screen mode and prevents students from navigating away from the assessment or accessing other applications, such as the Internet or their notes, while the test is in progress. The browser also prevents copy and paste, right-clicking, screen capture, messaging, or printing.
Requiring the LockDown Browser on tests/quizzes does not affect any of the functionality that is available to instructors on Schoology - all Schoology test/quiz settings remain available, and the workflow for grading student submissions remains the same whether or not the LDB is required.
If your school or organization currently has a license for the Respondus LockDown Browser, your System Admin can install the Respondus app to your Schoology Enterprise account. This provides instructors the option to require that students use the LockDown Browser when taking tests and quizzes on Schoology.
If your school or organization currently has a license for the Respondus LockDown Browser and/or monitor, visit the Respondus Help Center to check out their Quick Start Guide for Instructors and Students.
If you are interested in purchasing a Respondus license, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Installation and Configuration at the System Level
Before you get started, log in to your Respondus instance and complete the necessary configuration steps in the Admin Area Control Panel.
To install the Respondus LockDown browser app in your school, first contact Respondus to obtain the Consumer Key and Shared Secret for your school’s Respondus license. You will also need your account’s Profile Name and your school-specific download URL.
Next, log into your Schoology System Admin account and follow the installation steps below:
- Click the tile icon at the top of Schoology.
- App Center from the drop-down menu.
- Open the Respondus LockDown Browser app.
- Click Install App.
- Click Add to School.
- Click School Apps along the top of the page in the App Center to see and manage the list of the apps installed at your school.
- Next to the Respondus LockDown Browser app, click Install/Remove.
- Check All Courses and select Course Admins Only, then click Submit.
- On the School Apps page, click Configure next to the Respondus App. This will open the Configuration screen for the app, shown in the screenshot below:
- Enter your school’s Consumer Key and Shared Secret into the corresponding fields.
- In the Custom Parameters field, enter:
profile_name = [your profile name here] s_download_url=http://www.respondus.com/lockdown/download.php?id=[yourConsumerKey]
- Click Save Settings.
Course Admins at your school will now see the LockDown Browser app appear on the left menu of their courses. They can follow the instructions in the Instructor Guide to require students use the LockDown Browser, and to modify the Respondus settings for each test.