If your school has a TurnItIn LTI license, you can opt to configure TurnItIn as an LTI tool rather than installing the app in your school’s Schoology Enterprise account. The TurnItIn LTI tool supports the TurnItIn Originality Report and Grademark capabilities, and allows you to enable many of the TurnItIn features directly from the item in your Schoology course.
Read the article below in its entirety to understand how to install and configure TurnItIn as an LTI External Tool in your Schoology Courses, or use the links below to jump to specific topics:
- Installation and Configuration: System Level
- Adding External Tool to your Courses: For Instructors
- Creating TurnItIn Materials in Your Schoology Course
- Student Submissions
Check out the videos our partners at TurnItIn created showing how to use TurnItIn as an LTI Tool in Schoology!
- Creating TurnItIn Materials in your Schoology Course (Instructor view)
- Making a Submission to TurnItIn Materials in Your Schoology Course (Student View)
Installation and Configuration: System Level
As the System Admin, you can install TurnItIn at the system level and configure it with your school’s licensing information so that the LTI tools are already configured and available to your instructors in their Schoology courses.
- Click System Settings on the left side of your home page in your System Admin Account.
- Select Integration and then External Tools.
- Click +Add External Tool Provider
- Fill out the form with your licensing information
- Tool Name: Enter the name as you want it to display to your instructors. If you are adding multiple licenses via the External Tools area, label each tool clearly – High School TurnItIn and Middle School TurnItIn, or English Department TurnItIn and Polticial Science Department TurnItIn, for example.
- Consumer Key: Enter your organization's TII consumer key.
- Shared Secret: Enter your organization's TII shared secret.
- Match by: Select URL.
- Domain URL: Enter your organization's TII Configuration URL.
- Choose the URL based on your location:
- Turnitin.com users: https://api.turnitin.com/api/lti/1p0/assignment
- TurnitinUK users only: https://turnitinuk.com/api/lti/1p0/assignment
- Custom Parameters: N/A
Adding External Tools to Courses
Accessing System-Wide External Tools (Enterprise)
Once the System Admin has completed the steps above in Installation and Configuration: System Level, the TurnItIn external tool is now automatically populated into the External Tool area of each course. Instructors who are Course Admins can access this area of their course by clicking Course Options below the profile photo and then selecting External Tool Providers.
Here, instructors will see a list of the system-wide external tools available to them.
✱ If the System Admin has already installed and configured TurnItIn at the System level, skip to the next section, Creating TII Materials in Your Schoology Course.
Alternatively, instructors also have the option to install external tools at the course level as long as the necessary licensing information has been made available to them. This alternative approach would not require an admin to first install and configure Turnitin at the System level.
Instructors can install TurnItIn themselves at the course level by following these steps:
- Click Course Options below the profile photo
- Select External Tool Providers
- Click Add an External Tool Provider
- Fill out the form with your licensing information:
- Consumer Key: Enter your TII consumer key.
- Shared Secret: Enter your TII shared secret.
- Privacy: Select Send Name and Email/ Username of user who launches the tool.
- Match by: Select URL.
- Domain URL: Enter your organization's TII URL.
- Custom Parameters: N/A
Then, once TurnItIn has been installed as an External Tool at either the system or course level, Course Admins can add External Tools to their Course Material page.
Creating TII Materials in Your Schoology Course
To add a new material that you would like to sync with TurnItIn:
- Click Add Materials
- Select Add File/Link/External Tool
- Select External Tool
- Select TurnItIn from the Tool Provider dropdown
- Enter a Title as you would like it to display to your students
- Check Enable Grading to select a Grading Category, a Due Date and a Grading Scale you will use to grade students’ work.
Note: Rubrics are not currently available for use on External Tools.
- Click Submit to create the item
Configuring TurnItIn Settings
Once you have added the External Tool to your Materials page, open the tool by clicking on the title to configure the TurnItIn-specific settings for this item.
When you open the item, you have the option to toggle into the Submissions Inbox or the Settings tab. Click Settings to configure the TurnItIn settings.
Title: This is the title you entered while adding the external tool to your Materials page. The Title is the only information that syncs from Schoology to TurnItIn when you create a new item.
Instructions: Add any instructions you would like your students to follow when completing the assignment.
Max Grade: The max grade value in this screen should match the Points field in the Create External Tool screen to ensure that the item is calculated in the same way in Schoology as it is in TurnItIn. This is not automatic.
Start Date: This is the date when students can start making submissions to the item in TII. This is the day on which the item was created in Schoology by default.
Due Date: This is the date after which students can no longer make submissions
Feedback Release Date: This is the date when students can access the View Report option in Turn It In
Under Allow submission of any file type? select either Yes or NO
Optional Settings: Click Optional Settings to expand the Settings menu in order to see and enable the additional settings shown in the screenshot below.
Expand the Optional Settings to see and enable the additional TurnItIn functionality offered by the TurnItIn LTI Tool:
Students can make a submission by clicking on the title of the external tool from the Materials page of their course, which will launch the TurnItIn Assignment Dashboard for the student. In this screen, he or she can click the upload icon to make a submission.
Instructors should enter scores from within the TurnItIn doc viewer, then click out of the score field in order to save the grade. The grade entered in the top right corner of the TII doc viewer will update in the Assignment Inbox screen within the TII external tool in your Schoology course, as well as within the Schoology Gradebook.
Instructors should enter scores from within the TurnItIn doc viewer, then click out of the score field in order to save the grade: