This article contains instructions and guidance for System Admins on the system-level tools and practices they will need at the end of the school year.
We also have a Help Article written specifically for teachers on the course-level tools they should use and steps they should take at the end of the school year, which you may want to share with your teachers in a school-wide Update.
You can also print out an end-of-the-year checklist, attached to the bottom of this article.
End of the School Year: A Checklist for System Admins
Things to Think About for Next Year
- Are you making any of these changes to the way your school uses Schoology?
- When to Contact Your Schoology Client Success Manager
Don't forget to watch our May 2018 Special Edition LEAP Webinar, which covers everything a System Admin needs to know to end the school year right!
Need more help with your rollover to the new year? Check out our Rollover Package and take some of the work off your plate while a Schoology Resource Expert creates a rollover plan and assists you in preparing your district for the end of the year.
Wrapping up the Current School Year
Courses automatically archive at the end of the grading period. Make sure teachers at your school have the necessary permissions in Schoology to access archived courses after the school year ends so that they may still use this year's materials when setting up their course for next year.
About Archived Courses:
Courses from the 2017-2018 school year will automatically archive after the grading period end date. For example, if your course is associated with a grading period “Spring Semester 2018,” which ends on June 22, that course is moved to the instructor's Archived courses after June 22.
Archived courses do not expire. If the grading period has passed, you can leave the course Archived and still retain access to the Course – including the materials, gradebook, and Members page – when a course is archived.
Access to Archived Courses
To ensure that your teachers can still access to their course content after the grading period ends:
- Click Manage Users in the left menu of your home page.
- Click Permissions.
- Select the Teacher role from one of the drop-down menus along the top of this page and click Go.
- Scroll down to the Availability category in the Courses section and select the View Archived Courses checkbox in the Teacher column
- Click Save Changes
To access archived courses once this permission is enabled, Course Admins can:
- Click Courses in the top menu and select See All in the bottom-right corner of the drop-down menu
- Click Archived to view their list of archived courses, separated by grading period.
To manually export grades at an organization, System Admins can click Export in the left menu, select the Gradebook tab on the Export page, and then complete the follow steps:
- Select Options: Select the grading period(s) associated with the sections from which you want to export grades.
- Enabling the Select Active option selects all of the school's current grading periods at your school. Current grading periods are grading periods that have started, but not yet ended.
- Choose Sections: Select the section(s) you’d like to export. If there are more than 500 courses associated with the selected grading period(s), Schoology will automatically export a CSV file of all courses.
- Enabling the Select All option selects all of the listed sections.
- Select fields: Select the user information you’d like to export.
- Export: To export a .csv file of the selected information, click the Export button. The file lists grades by course section, which you may filter as needed.
Instructors and Students
At the end of the school year, you should mark any graduating students and departing faculty members as Inactive in Schoology.
Note: Marking users Inactive effectively archives their Schoology accounts. Users with inactive accounts:
- Cannot log in to Schoology.
- No longer appear in the Members list of their previous courses and groups.
However, marking a user Inactive is not a permanent deletion. You can restore an inactive account at any time from the Inactive tab of Manage Users.
Manually Marking Users Inactive
To manually mark individual users Inactive, System Admins can use the Manage Users tool in the left menu:
- Click Manage Users
- Select the checkbox to the left of the user's name
- Click Select Bulk Action
- Select Mark Inactive
- Click Save Changes at the bottom of the screen.
Using the Import Tool to Mark Users Inactive
System Admins can use the Import tool to mark several users inactive at once:
Step 1 — Create Your Import File
Export all users in your organization to a .csv file with the necessary information to update your users' accounts. The file should contain at least:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Username or Email Address
- Unique ID
- Schoology ID (required field)
- Graduation Year
Schoology ID is the field used to mark the users as inactive, but we also recommend using the other fields to ensure the accuracy of your file.
Step 2 — Modify Your File
If you have assigned graduation years to your students' user accounts, you can sort your .csv file by Graduation Year.
After exporting the file, go through it and delete the users that you want to keep. The file should only include the user accounts for the students who have graduated or left the district. All content in the file is deleted when you import it.
Step 3 — Update Users' Accounts
Once you have exported the file and removed the users you want to keep, go to the Delete tab and import the file to remove the remaining users in the spreadsheet:
- In the Delete row, select which type you want to delete:
- Users — Mark the users in the spreadsheet as Inactive.
Enable or clear the checkboxes below the dropdown menu:
- Enable Keep grade or attendance data to maintain the user history for Inactive users, which is useful if you want the option restore their accounts later.
- Enabe Send email alert to send an email to Inactive users, as well as to instructors of courses in which those users are enrolled.
- Click the Attach File button, and then browse to and select the spreadsheet to import.
- Click Continue.
- In the Matched User Column drop-down menu, match the Schoology User ID to the corresponding cell in your .csv file.
The Preview columns display the values from the first three rows in the respective column from the spreadsheet.
- Click Next.
- Confirm the correct set of users in the Deleted section and then click Run.
Once you have marked the users as Inactive; this deletion is not permanent, however. If you ever need to restore a user's account:
- Click Manage Users in the left menu of your System Admin account
- Click the Inactive tab along the top
- Select the checkbox to the left of the user's name.
- Select the option to Make Active and click Save Changes to complete.
Making the users Active will enable access to join courses and groups. Select the Also place user(s) back into courses and groups option to to re-enroll the user in previous courses and groups.
Note: Re-enrollment into previous courses will populate grades and attendance.
Once you have marked graduated students as Inactive, you can also remove the parent accounts that were linked to these students.
To mark Parents without any active students as Inactive:
- Click Manage Users in the left menu of your System Admin account.
- Click the Parents/Advisors tab along the top.
- Click Options.
- Select Inactive: Export a List of Parents With No Active Children.
- This will generate a .csv file containing all of the parent accounts who no longer have active children at your school. You can find it in your Downloads file on your computer.
Note: The following users are not included in the exported CSV:
- Users with a Faculty role (such as, a teacher who had children associated to their instructor account).
- Parents enrolled as admins of active Courses and Groups.
- Click Import in the left menu of your System Admin account.
- Select the Delete tab along the top.
- Click Attach File and upload the .csv file you have just downloaded.
- Select Users (Mark Inactive) in the Delete row.
- Optional: Select Send Email Alert to notify these users that their account is being deleted.
- Click Continue.
- Map the Schoology User ID to the corresponding column in your .csv file.
- Click Next to preview the deletion.
- Click Run to complete.
Things to think about for next year
Are you making changes to the way you use Schoology or incorporating additional educational technology into your curriculum? Below are some questions to consider while thinking about how you plan to use Schoology next school year, and links to Help Articles to help you get set up over the summer.
Q: Did you recently get a Turnitin license for your school? If so, have you installed the Schoology Turnitin app for all users at your school?
Q: Are you planning on using Google Drive on a school-wide basis next year?
Q: Are you planning on using any new LTI or External Tools on a school-wide basis next year?
Q: Are you buying content? Are you planning an import of content from another platform?
Q: Are you implementing Standards Based Grading? Do you want to add custom Learning Objectives school-wide?
- How to Create and Use Learning Objectives on Schoology
- How to Set Up School-Wide Learning Objectives
- How to Use Student Mastery Reporting
Thinking About Next Year: When to Contact Your Client Success Manager
If you answer yes to any of these questions, contact your Client Success Manager:
- Are you getting a new System Admin next year?
- Are you getting new Support Contacts next year?
- Are you changing your authentication method (how users at your school log in to Schoology)?
- Are you changing your provisioning method (the way you import accounts, courses, and enrollments)?
- Are you incorporating parents next year?
- Are you expanding Schoology's use to additional buildings in your district this year?
- Are you purchasing new devices for your students?
- Are you expanding the use of devices in your classrooms?
Check out our LEAP Special Edition May 2018, which covers everything System Administrators need to know as they rollover to the new school year!