Looking for a professional solution for video conference within Schoology? Schoology Conferences provides real-time sharing of audio, video, slides, chat, and screen. Schoology Conferences enables schools and organizations to deliver a high quality learning experience to remote students.
Using the Conferences app, course and group admins can create, plan, and hold live audio and video conferences with up to 50 participants.
You can use the links below to jump to a specific area of the guide:
- Install the App to Your Courses and Groups
- Create a Video Conference
- Conducting Your Video Conference
- Joining a Video Conference
- Ending the Video Conference
Install the App to Your Courses and Groups
Instructors can install Conferences from the Schoology App Center directly to each course and group they administer. System Administrators can install the app for all courses and/or groups in their organization.
Only course and group admins can create and start a video conference, but by default all course members can participate. To prevent other members from participating in video conferencing, select Course/Group admins only when installing the app.
To install the Conferences app from the App Center as a System Administrator:
- Select the Conferences app in the App Center.
- Choose Add to Organization.
- Return to the App Center and select Organization Apps at the top of the screen.
- Click Configure to approve the app for your organization. If you have a Premium license with BigBlueButton, this is where you can enter your credentials provided by BigBlueButton.
- Return to the Organization Apps page and click Install/Remove.
- Install the app for all courses and/or groups in your organization.
- If desired, check Course admins only or Group admins only to prevent other members from participating in the conferencing.
Create a Video Conference
If you are the course or group admin you can create a new video conference after installing Conferences:
- Click the Conferences app in the left menu in a course or group where it is installed.
- Name the conference and set its start time. You can also include an optional end time.
- Use the gear to the right of a specific conference to edit the title, start, and end times.
Create as many conferences as you like. Upcoming conferences will appear in the Active tab. A list of past conferences displays in the Completed tab. Recordings of completed conferences will remain available for 7 days after the end of the conference.
Conducting Your Video Conference
As the admin for your course or group, you must click the Start Conference button within the app to begin the video conference. Even if the Start Time has passed, your conference will not begin until you start the session.
Upon launching or joining a video conference, BigBlueButton opens in a new tab. Follow the prompts to test your audio and microphone.
During a conference you can:
- Record a live video conference.
- Upload documents and teach using an interactive whiteboard.
- Make live annotations.
- Chat instantly with all attendees or individuals.
- Moderate the live discussion by muting participants and allowing them to raise their hands.
Students will also be able to:
- Make live notations on a shared, multi-user whiteboard.
- Take notes via a collaborative notepad, and later download them.
Joining a Video Conference
After you begin a video conference, course and group members can join your session by:
- Clicking Conferences in the left menu.
- Clicking the title of the video conference.
- Members can only join sessions with a status of In Progress, which indicates that the Admin has started the session.
- Up to 50 course or group members can participate in a conference simultaneously.
- Members of courses with linked sections can join the same conference when accessing the Conferences app on the left-hand side of the course menu.
- The number of participants who can share their webcam depends on the user’s bandwidth.
- Admins in schools with Premium BigBlueButton licenses may also invite guests into a session via an invite URL, or post a dial-in number to the voice conference bridge.
Ending the Video Conference
To end the video conference, the course or group admin must select End Conference within Schoology. Participants can exit a conference by closing the browser.
BigBlueButton saves recorded sessions for 7 days. To view a recorded session during this time, select the Completed tab within the app and click Play.
- Users in schools with Premium Tier BigBlueButton licenses do not have the 7-day limit and may access recorded sessions at any time after they are posted.
- It may take several minutes after the conference has ended for recordings to appear in the Completed area.
To delete an Active or Completed conference, click the gear icon to the right of the conference and select Delete.
If you have questions regarding your video and audio configurations, or to view a full tutorial of the app, visit the BigBlueButton Video page.