This article is for existing Schoology users who use PowerSchool to provision users, courses, and sections into Schoology. You can read this page in its entirety, or use the links outlined below to jump to specific steps in the process.
How to Configure and Synchronize the Schoology PowerSchool App
The sections outlined below show you how to set up your Configuration, Schools and Terms tabs in the Schoology PowerSchool app, and how to sync Users, Courses, and Sections from PowerSchool to Schoology.
- Getting Started: PowerSchool App Configuration
Read here for more information on optional parts of the PowerSchool/Schoology integration.
- Custom Field Mapping for PowerSchool
- Use this article to further customize the way information is provisioned from PowerSchool into Schoology.
- PowerSchool App for Teachers
- Use this article to install the PowerSchool app that's available for teachers in their courses. Share this link with instructors at your school to provide guidance on how to configure and use the app in their Schoology course.
PowerSchool Integration Overview
Schoology has developed a Student Information System (SIS) integration platform that enables Schoology to integrate with any SIS that provides a web services API. The integration provides a seamless method for keeping Schoology populated with users, courses, school, and enrollment data. It also provides the ability for Schoology to transfer grade and assignment data into PowerSchool.
This section addresses the following questions:
- What information is transferred from PowerSchool to Schoology?
- What information is transferred from Schoology to PowerSchool?
- How often is information updated between the systems?
- What is required to implement the PowerSchool App in Schoology?
- What are the limitations to the PowerSchool integration?
What information is transferred from PowerSchool to Schoology?
Schoology pulls the following information from PowerSchool:
- School building information
- Users (staff and student accounts)
- Grading periods/terms
- Courses, Sections, and Enrollments
Important Note: All of the information listed above is managed in PowerSchool and changes and updates transfer seamlessly to Schoology. However, it is important to note that in order to keep a consistent data model, any changes or updates made in Schoology do not transfer to PowerSchool.
You can add additional courses and users in Schoology that are not in PowerSchool without affecting your PowerSchool instance. This option is helpful if you want to do cross-school enrollments or if you have guest instructors, or if you have advisors that are not in PowerSchool.
What information is transferred from Schoology to PowerSchool?
Schoology pushes in real-time the following information to PowerSchool:
- Grade items (Assignments & Assessments)
- Grade updates (Changes to grades)
What is required to implement the PowerSchool App in Schoology?
- The district needs to be operating version 8.1 or higher of PowerSchool (Required)
- The district needs to have SSL (Secure Socket Layer) Certificate with PowerSchool (Required)
- The district should have Active Directory synced with PowerSchool (optional, but highly encouraged)
What are the limitations to the PowerSchool integration?
- PowerSchool does not support the transfer of parent information via their API. This means that parents have to be configured from within Schoology. Schoology works closely with the district to understand how best to create parent accounts and maintain associations with students.
- Attendance taken in Schoology is not transferred to PowerSchool. Schoology works closely with the district to explain best approaches for handling this issue.
- Grades pushed to PowerSchool from Schoology do not contain Schoology grading scales and custom categories because PowerSchool does not yet provide APIs that supports this workflow.
- In cases where there are multiple gradebooks in a single PowerSchool course, Schoology does not update a particular gradebook within a course.
- When a user account in PowerSchool is associated with multiple buildings at your organization, PowerSchool will create two separate user accounts on Schoology. We recommend linking the two accounts together in Schoology.
PowerSchool Integration Instructions
PowerSchool App: Before you get started
Before you install the PowerSchool app into your school or organization, make sure you have the following items completed:
- Upgrade your PowerSchool instance to version 8.1 or higher.
- Enable or implement SSL (Secure Socket Layer) Certificate with PowerSchool by contacting your PowerSchool representative.
- If you have teachers that are teaching in multiple buildings in PowerSchool, make sure that you consolidate those accounts in PowerSchool.
- If you’re planning on bringing Student emails into Schoology, you may need to populate the PSM_StudentContact.Email field in PowerSchool with this data. Please contact PowerSchool for more information.
- If you're planning on using LDAP or Remote Authentication, or Google SSO, make sure your directory or database is synced with PowerSchool (optional, but highly recommended).
- Before installing the PowerSchool app in Schoology, make sure that you've rolled over PowerSchool to the upcoming school year.
Installing the Schoology Plugin in PowerSchool
Once you have fulfilled the General Requirements above, you're ready to begin using the Schoology PowerSchool app. Use these steps to set up the integration between your PowerSchool instance and your district's Schoology account.
Steps to take in Schoology
- Log in to your Schoology System Admin account.
- Click the tile icon in the header at the top of Schoology and click App Center.
- Find the PowerSchool App and install it to your school.
- Download the configuration file located in the Configuration tab of the app (skip this step if you already have the plugin installed in PowerSchool).
Note: Do not unzip the downloaded file. Certain web browsers unzip files by default, so you may need to verify this in your browser settings before downloading the plugin.
Steps to take in PowerSchool:
- Log in to your PowerSchool District Admin account.
- On the left menu, navigate to System.
- Scroll down to click System Settings.
- Click on Plugin Management Configuration (skip steps 4-7 if you already have the plugin installed in PowerSchool).
- Click Install to add the updated plugin.
- Add the downloaded zip file.
Note: Do not unzip the downloaded files before installing the plugin. The installation will not work unless the files remain in the .zip file.
- Click Install.
- On the Plugin Management Dashboard, you should now see the Schoology SIS Adapter. Check the box to the right of the Schoology SIS Adapter to enable the plugin.
- Click on the blue Schoology SIS Adapter link.
- Scroll down and click on the Data Provider Configuration link.
Then, back in Schoology
- Copy Consumer ID from PowerSchool and paste into Schoology Consumer Key.
- Copy Consumer Secret from PowerSchool and paste into Schoology Consumer Secret
- Copy and paste PowerSchool URL into PowerSchool Domain field in Schoology
- And click Save API Credentials
If you encounter an error when saving the API credentials, try these troubleshooting tips:
- Make sure there are no spaces before or after the Domain, Key, and Secret entries.
- Double-check that you've entered the PowerSchool domain URL accurately and, if appropriate, make sure to include the appropriate https:// or http:// before the domain.
- Check that you have enabled SSL in the Global Server Settings of your PowerSchool instance:
- In PowerSchool, go to System>System Settings>Global Server Settings.
- Make sure that Secure Server SSL is enabled and saved.
Note: If an error persists after taking these steps, contact Schoology with your Domain, Consumer Key, and Consumer Secret.
PowerSchool App Configuration
Once you've completed the steps in General Requirements and installed the Schoology Plug-In, you can start setting up your PowerSchool app in your Schoology System Admin account. Start with the Configuration tab along the top, and work from left to right.
You need to set up the Configuration, Schools, and Terms tabs before you can start syncing Users, Courses, and Sections from PowerSchool to Schoology.
Use this guide to set up the following tabs in the Schoology PowerSchool App:
PowerSchool Sync Timing Options
Use PowerSchool Sync Timing Options to:
- Choose whether the sync between PowerSchool and Schoology is manual or scheduled.
- Manual — The Acting User must manually sync the PowerSchool app in Schoology.
- Scheduled — This setting provisions users, courses, sections, and enrollments from PowerSchool into Schoology. You may also navigate to the respective tabs in the app and manually sync users, courses, or sections and enrollments at any time. Select Scheduled (Daily) unless otherwise instructed by your Schoology representative.
- The date and time you enter for a scheduled sync is the time your data will be added to the queue, not the time the sync will be completed. For example, if you select 12am -3am, that job gets queued at 12am, and then executes once the jobs get to the top of the queue.
- You may see an additional option to schedule an Hourly sync. This feature is in limited availability. If you're a System Administrator and you're interested in this feature for your district, please contact your Schoology representative.
- Live Sync Schoology Grades with PowerSchool: Sends graded items and grades from Schoology to PowerSchool. This feature is a live update from Schoology to PowerSchool. Graded items and grades created and/or updated in Schoology will be created and/or updated in the PowerSchool Gradebook.
- This feature is in limited availability. If you're a System Administrator and you're interested in this feature for your district, please contact your Schoology representative.
- When Live Sync Schoology Grades with PowerSchool is enabled, a deleted assignment in Schoology will also be deleted in PowerSchool. If this is undesirable, disable the Live Sync option and use the PowerSchool course-level app to sync grades manually
- Click Save Sync Options to save your settings. You can also change the settings at any time by re-saving the sync options.
PowerSchool Assignment Options
If you enable the Live Sync Schoology Grades with PowerSchool (Limited Availability) setting, use the Assignment Options to select a default grading category to map graded items from Schoology to the PowerSchool gradebook.
Currently, PowerSchool only enables the selection of a single grading category:
However, teachers can map to the remaining default categories from the PowerSchool Teacher app.
Click Save Assignment Options to move on to the next area of the app.
Schoology Acting User
To make any changes to the PowerSchool app, you must be the Acting User for the app and a Schoology System Administrator for your organization. The Acting User sees the following message displayed in the Schoology Acting User area:
If you don't see this message, click the button to make yourself the Acting User for your account.
Map your schools in PowerSchool to your schools in Schoology on the Schools tab. You may also automatically create new Schoology schools based on your PowerSchool schools.
In the Map Schools area, PowerSchool schools are in the left column and Schoology schools are in the right.
- If you already have buildings in Schoology, you can create a one-to-one mapping between the PowerSchool building and the Schoology building.
- If you do not want additional buildings in Schoology, you can map your PowerSchool buildings into a single Schoology building.
- If you don't have any school buildings in Schoology and want to automatically create them from your PowerSchool buildings, select Create New Building in the drop-down list in the Schoology column.
- You do not have to map all PowerSchool buildings to Schoology. Unmapped buildings and their users, courses, and enrollments are not provisioned in Schoology.
- Click Save Changes to create or update the school mappings.
After you've completed setting up the Configuration and Schools tabs, you're ready to map your PowerSchool Terms to your Schoology Grading Periods.
After you create your schools, they are listed in the Terms tab of the PowerSchool app.
- If you already have grading periods in Schoology, you can create a one-to-one mapping between the PowerSchool terms to the Schoology grading periods. Make sure you're mapping to the correct school year.
- After you create grading periods in Schoology, if you would like to map a single PowerSchool term to multiple Schoology grading periods, click Add to the right of the Schoology term and select the same term in both drop-down menus.
- For example, if you have a course that runs an entire semester, you may want the instructor's gradebook in Schoology to be divided into two quarters rather than one full semester.
- After selecting Create new grading period click Save Changes, then Refresh Data. The newly created grading periods will auto-populate in the drop-drop-down menu and you can proceed in mapping the terms.
Note: If you ever need to adjust your grading period dates, do this on both the Schoology and PowerSchool side. In Schoology, you can do this from School Management: Grade Settings. Once you've adjusted your grading period's dates, click Refresh Data near the upper-right corner of the Terms tab in PowerSchool and make sure that you've mapped your terms to the correct grading period, which also displays the correct date. Make sure to save your changes after updating. Adjusting grading period dates does not affect assignments.
PowerSchool App Sync
After you have completed the Configuration steps above, and once you have worked with your Schoology representative to review the SIS data you have prepared, you can start the sync process using the steps below. This begins the process of provisioning your Schoology account with Users, Courses, and Enrollments from PowerSchool.
To sync users from PowerSchool to Schoology, you must select the role to which the account will be mapped.
- Click on the gear to the left of the school name.
- Map the Student role in PowerSchool to a role in Schoology. Most schools select the Student role in Schoology as well.
- Map the Staff role in PowerSchool to a role in Schoology.
- Once you've mapped the roles for each of the school buildings, click Sync Users to begin your first User sync with PowerSchool. This button also enables you to manually sync users at any time.
By default, Student usernames in Schoology are provisioned with their PowerSchool Students.Student_WebID, and Teacher usernames are provisioned with their Teachers.TeacherLoginID in PowerSchool. However, you can use the Custom Mapping option to customize the field brought into Schoology from PowerSchool.
- Once users are created in Schoology by the sync, any updates to their account information must be made in PowerSchool. However, user accounts cannot be deleted in Schoology by deleting the account in PowerSchool. If a user leaves your organization, you will need to remove their account in both systems. Learn more about marking users inactive in bulk on Schoology.
- If you do not want to provision certain roles into Schoology, you can select Do Not Sync.
To provision Schoology with the courses in your PowerSchool instance, select the school(s) for which you'd like courses provisioned. Then click Sync Courses to bring PowerSchool courses into Schoology. Learn more about bulk deleting Courses in Schoology.
To provision Schoology with the sections and enrollments in your PowerSchool instance, select the school(s) for which you'd like sections provisioned. Then click Sync Sections/Enrollments to bring in PowerSchool sections and enrollments into Schoology.
By default, section names in Schoology are provisioned with the Sections.Section_Number in PowerSchool. However, you can use the Custom Mapping option to provision the section name with the PowerSchool expression instead.
Use the Logs tab to view the progress of your latest sync with PowerSchool. Logs also enable you to detect any errors occurring during the sync.
If you have any questions or encounter any issues with the PowerSchool sync, contact your Schoology representative or submit a ticket with the Schoology Help Desk.
Custom Field Mapping for PowerSchool Integration
When Schoology synchronizes data from PowerSchool, Schoology automatically pulls information from certain fields in PowerSchool to populate fields in Schoology. For instance, when provisioning user accounts, Schoology's Username field uses information from the PowerSchool Student Web ID or Teacher Username field by default.
Similarly, when provisioning courses, Schoology's Section Name field uses the word "Section" and the PowerSchool Section Number.
To provide more flexibility in provisioning user and course information, we also provide the ability to customize which fields populate the Username and Section Name within Schoology. The table below describes the customization options for mapping for each of these fields.
Custom Field Mapping for Users
Schoology provides the ability to choose from a list of PowerSchool fields for Students and Staff that are imported from PowerSchool. The options for each field are described in the Custom Field Mapping Definitions below. To create a custom mapping for your school's integration:
- Click on the Users tab on the top menu of the PowerSchool app, and click on Custom Mapping to the right of the app.
- Click the checkbox for Customize mapping preferences to enable the custom mapping.
- Per the field listings below, choose the desired mapping fields.
- When you are finished, click Save Custom Settings.
Custom Field Mapping for Course Sections
Schoology provides the ability to choose from a list of PowerSchool fields for Sections that are imported from PowerSchool. The options for each field are described in the Custom Field Mapping Definitions below. To create a custom mapping for your school's integration:
- Click Sections along the top menu of the PowerSchool app,
- Click Custom Mapping
- Check the box labeled Customize mapping preferences to enable the custom mapping.
- Choose your desired mapping fields
- When you are finished, click Save Field Mapping. On the next Section synchronization, your Section Name fields will be updated.
Custom Field Mapping Definitions
- -- : Choosing the field denoted with "--" means that Schoology will not import a username for this user. Note that unless email addresses are populated, user creation will fail.
- Students.DCID: The Student DCID field is the same number that appears in the Unique ID column in Schoology. For students, this number has a "1_" prepended.
- Students.Student_Number: This field refers to the student number in PowerSchool for the given Student Record.
- Students.Student_Web_ID: This field refers to the student Web ID (For example, their PowerSchool login username) for the given Student Record.
- -- : Choosing the field denoted with "--" means that Schoology will not import a username for this user. Note that unless email addresses are populated, user creation will fail.
- Teachers.DCID: The Teacher DCID field is the same number that appears in the Unique ID column in Schoology. For teachers, this number has a "2_" prepended.
- Teachers.TeacherNumber: This field refers to the teacher number inside PowerSchool for the given Teacher Record.
- Teachers.TeacherLoginId: This field refers to the Teacher Login ID (For example, their PowerSchool login username) for the given Teacher Record. If a Teacher Record has both a Teacher Username and an Admin Username, the Teacher Username will be used.
- Sections.SectionNumber: This field refers to the PowerSchool Section Number. For readability, Schoology will prepend the word "Section" before this number. For instance, if PowerSchool has a section with a number of 14, Schoology will create it as "Section 14."
- Sections.Expression: This field refers to the PowerSchool Section Expression Field. For instance, if you have a Section in course English 101, with the Section Expression of 3(A), Schoology will display: English 101: 3(A).