From the Delete tab on the Import page, you can automatically:
- Designate a set of users as inactive.
- Move courses or sections to the Deleted Courses area.
Marking Users Inactive
Note: Marking users Inactive effectively archives their Schoology accounts. Users with inactive accounts:
- Cannot log in to Schoology.
- No longer appear in the Members list of their previous courses and groups.
However, marking a user Inactive is not a permanent deletion. You can restore an inactive account at any time.
You can view a course's inactive members from the Inactive tab in the Members area of the course.
Step 1 - Export a User File
- Export all users in your organization to a .csv file with the necessary information to update their accounts.
- The Schoology ID is the only required field used to mark users as inactive, but we also recommend using the other fields to ensure the accuracy of your file:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Username or Email Address
- Unique ID
- Schoology ID (required field)
- Graduation Year
|Type of content to delete||Field Name|
|Users||Schoology User ID|
Step 2 - Edit Your File
After exporting the file, go through it and delete the users that you want to keep active. The file should only include the user accounts you wish to mark inactive.
Note: If you assign graduation years to your students' user accounts, you can sort your .csv file by Grad Year.
Step 3- Import Your Users File to Mark Users as Inactive
Once you have exported the file and removed the users you want to keep active, go to the Delete tab and import the file to remove the remaining users:
- In the Delete row, select Users in the dropdown menu.
- Enable or clear the checkboxes below the dropdown menu:
- Keep grade or attendance data – Enable to maintain the user history for inactive users, which is useful if you want the option restore their accounts later.
- Send email alert – Enable to send an email to inactive users, as well as to instructors of courses in which those users are enrolled.
The users from the spreadsheet are now inactive in Schoology.
Note on Parent Accounts: Once you have designated students as Inactive, you can also mark parents without any active students in your organization as Inactive as well. Click here for instructions.
Viewing and Restoring Inactive User Accounts
Marking users inactive is not a permanent deletion of their accounts. See this article on how to view inactive users here.
If you ever need to restore an inactive user account to active status:
- Click Manage Users in the left menu of your System Admin account.
- Click the Inactive tab along the top.
- Select the checkbox to the left of the user's name.
- Select the option to Make Active and click Save Changes to complete.
- Marking users Active again will enable access to join courses and groups but will not automatically re-enroll them into their previous courses and groups. Select “Also place user(s) back into courses and groups” to re-enroll them in their previous courses and groups.
- Re-enrolling into previous courses also populates grades and attendance records.