Create new grading categories in the Grade Setup area of your Schoology Course. Grading categories allow graded items to be placed in a course Gradebook. You can learn more about Grading Categories from the Gradebook article in the Instructor Guide.
You can adjust grading categories to calculate by Total Pts (this is the default setting) as well as by Percent. These options can vary the outcomes of a student's overall grade in the course. For example, if the grading category calculates by total points:
- If a student scores 6/6 on an item,
- And also scores 60/100 on an item,
- Total, the student has an average of total points (66/106=62%).
If the grading category calculates by percent:
- The students scores 6/6 on the first item, and so receives a 100%
- If a student scores 60/100 on an item, the grade for the item is 60%.
- Total, the student has an average of the percentages, regardless of the total maximum points for each item (80%)