Create new grading categories in the Grade Setup area of your Schoology Course. Grading categories allow graded items to be placed in a course Gradebook. You can learn more about Grading Categories in our full help article on the Gradebook: Courses:Gradebook.
You can adjust grading categories to calculate by Total Pts (this is the default setting) as well as by Percent. These options can vary the outcomes of a student's overall grade in the course.
For example, if the grading category calculates by total points:
- If a student scores 6/6 on an item,
- And also scores 60/100 on an item,
- Total, the student has an average of total points (66/106=62%).
If the grading category calculates by percent:
- The students scores 6/6 on the first item, and so receives a 100%
- If a student scores 60/100 on an item, the grade for the item is 60%.
- Total, the student has an average of the percentages, regardless of the total maximum points for each item (80%)