Courses are a great way to engage members in an area that has Gradebook and Attendance features, as well as interactive course materials.
Note: Depending on the settings in place at your school or organization, you may not see some of the options below.
How To Create a Course
To manually create a course:
- Click the Courses drop-down menu in the top menu
- Select Create in the lower-left of the Courses drop-down menu
- In the Create form:
- Enter your course name; for example, "English 101"
- Rename the section name by clicking into the area that says Section 1. If you teach multiple sections.
- Select a Subject Area
- Enter a grade level, or select a grade range
- Click Create to finish.
Note: If you are a free user, you may create, add or select grading periods when creating a course. However, if you have a Teacher account in a Enterprise school, a grading period will only be available if the System Administrator has created a list of designated grading periods. If you don't see a grading period for your course, please contact your System Administrator.
Course Name vs. Section Name
Each course has a Course Name and a Section Name. This naming convention allows you to create multiple sections for the same course. For example:
Course Name: English 101
Section Name: Section 1
You can also find more information about sections and courses here: What is a Course and a Section?
Create a new section under an existing course
If you already have a course, and you'd like to add another section, follow these steps:
- Select the Courses dropdown menu and click See All.
- Click the Add Section button next to the desired course.
- Click Create.
Create a copy of a current course section
- Select the Course dropdown menu and click See All.
- Select the Gear Icon and click Copy Section.
- Complete the Copy Course Section form.
- Click Create.
Note: Schoology automatically changes the Section Name, but you can modify it by clicking on the Section Name.