Course Admins can navigate to the Attendance area of courses they administer in order to record whether course members are present, absent, late, or excused for class. Attendance-related comments can also be added for students on individual days.
Click the following links to jump to a specific area of the guide:
- Taking Attendance
- Class Attendance Status
- Attendance Comments
- Change Date View
- Meeting Days
- View Attendance Reports
- Print Attendance Reports
Follow these steps to edit attendance:
- Select Attendance in the left-hand menu of your course.
- Click Start at the top of the column or click into a cell within the column to make attendance adjustments as needed.
- Click the icon in the center to mark the student either Present, Absent, Late, or Excused.
- Click Save Changes at the bottom of the page to complete.
Class Attendance Status
The row on the page that appears right below the dates called “Class Attendance Status.” This serves as a visual indication of whether or not attendance has been taken for a specific date.
Only 4 statuses can possibly appear in this row:
- Start appears on the current day and any days in the past when the course was scheduled to meet.
- Course admins can click Start to fill that day’s attendance column with present icons.
- Course admins can also click directly into cells to start attendance. After doing so, course admins will notice that the Class Attendance Status for that day changes from Start to Not Saved even though they didn’t click Start.
- Not Saved appears at the top of columns in which a course admin has made changes or clicked Start, but hasn’t clicked Save Changes at the bottom of the page.
- Saved appears at the top of columns where attendance has been updated and the course admin has clicked Save Changes at the bottom of the page.
- Saved only appears for current or past days where attendance has been taken and saved.
- The attendance taken status for days will be blank when the day is in the future and the course admin isn’t currently making changes to that day.
- Course admins will also see blank statuses for days in the past when the class wasn’t scheduled to meet.
You can use the attendance area to leave a comment about a student on a particular date. To leave a comment, follow these steps:
- Select Attendance in the left menu of the Course Profile.
- Hover over a cell to edit the student’s attendance for that day.
- Click the comment bubble icon in the bottom right corner of the cell.
- Enter your comment into the pop-up.
- Check the box to Display to Student (optional).
- Click Save Changes to complete.
Change Date View
There are menus located above and below the attendance table, which allow you to change the date view. Click the calendar icon to select a specific date, or use the left and right arrows to display the previous or next week, respectively.
Attendance reflects the Meetings Days configured in the Course Info area. Course Admins can assign meeting days in the Course Information area with the following steps:
- Click Course Info at the top of the left-hand menu.
- Select Edit Info in the drop-down menu.
- Toggle into the Details tab to the right of the Info tab.
- Click the day(s) of the week on which your course meets.
- Click Save Changes to complete.
When entering attendance, the Start option will appear by default for the days on which your course meets. However, you can still enter attendance for the other days by clicking directly into the cell.
For example, a course that meets on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays will see the following in the Attendance chart:
View Attendance Reports
Hover over the student’s cell on the left-hand side of the Attendance chart to view the number of Absent, Late, and Excused markings and comments the student has received while in your course.
Click the bar graph icon to the right of a student's name in the Attendance view to see a summary of their attendance and any comments.
Print Attendance Reports
You can print Attendance Reports for students in your course by clicking on the Print icon located to the right of the week label.
Select individual or multiple students and print the reports from the browser.