Schoology provides a great way for educators to connect with other educators, either within an organization or globally throughout Schoology.
Connections offer a way to share with other educators on Schoology on an individual level, rather than via a shared School, Group or Course.
Why should I connect with other users?
Connecting with other users gives you two advantages:
- You can more easily share information with connections.
- You can limit your account privacy settings to connections.
Note: Basic users must have verified their accounts in order to use the Connections feature. Enterprise users' ability to add connections depends on the settings in place at their school or organization. Please reach out to your Support Contact with any questions.
How do I find connections?
In general, faculty roles can connect with other faculty roles. For example, an instructor in one school can connect with another instructor. Since students and parents are not considered faculty, they cannot form connections with other users. In some cases, the System Administrator (Enterprise) at a school or organization may place some restrictions on the users with whom you may connect.
To search for a specific user:
- Click the magnifying glass icon in the top menu.
- Enter the user's name and press the search icon or Enter/Return.
- A list of users should appear in the search results. Look for the user with whom you'd like to connect.
- Click on the Connect icon to the right of the user.
You may also see faculty information from the School profile:
- Click the down-facing arrow in the upper right of the screen.
- Click the name of your school or organization.
- Click Faculty in the left menu.
- Click the name of the user with whom you'd like to connect.
- Click the Connect button to the right.
Note: You may also access users' profiles by clicking on their name. If you're not yet connected with the user, you'll see the same icon to connect. In some cases, the school or organization may not allow the user account to connect with other users. In other cases, the user may not have verified their accounts on Schoology, which prevents their ability to connect with other users.
To search for users with common interests:
- Click Suggested Educators in the right column of your Home page, or navigate to the My Connections tab in the People area in the left menu of the Home page.
- If you haven't already made a connection, you'll see the option to Explore.
- When you explore suggestion educators, Schoology automatically populates users with similar interests to yours. The more you build courses and content in Schoology, the better we'll be able to suggest users with common interests.
Once you’ve made a connection with another user, you’ll notice an additional column in your personal account settings for Connections. This additional threshold enables you to tighten certain privacy settings so that only those with whom you’re connected have access to view the information in your personal profile. It also enables you to determine users with whom you may communicate through Schoology messages.
You can also easily update or share information with your connections by creating a personal update. Normally, users must navigate to your profile to view your personal updates. However, when you have a connection, personal updates of connected users appear in the Recent Activity feed on your Home page.
Connections also enable you to easily share personal resource collections. When you navigate to your personal resources and click on a collection other than your Home collection, you’ll notice a Share button. This Share button enables you to share with faculty at your school, and with connected users.
When one of your Connections shares a Resource with you, you receive a menu notification in your account letting you know who shared and what they shared with you: