Schoology provides a great way for educators to connect with other educators, either within an organization or globally throughout Schoology.
Connections offer a way to share with other educators on Schoology on an individual level, rather than via a shared School, Group or Course.
Why should I connect with other users?
Connecting with other users gives you two advantages:
- You can adjust your privacy settings further to “Connections.”
- You can more easily share information with connections.
How do I find connections?
In general, faculty roles can connect with other faculty roles. For example, a teacher in one school can connect with another teacher. Since students and parents are not considered faculty, they cannot form connections with other users. In some cases, the System Administrator (Enterprise) at a school or organization may place some restrictions on the users with whom you may connect.
To connect with faculty at your school or organization:
- Navigate to your Home page.
- Click on the People area on the left menu.
- Click on the icon to connect with faculty at your school.
You may also see faculty information from the School profile:
- Click on the downfacing arrow in the upper right of the screen.
- Click on your school or organization name.
- Click on the Faculty area on the left menu.
- Click on the icon to connect with other faculty at your school.
Note: You may also click into users' profiles by clicking on their name. If you're not yet connected with the user, you'll see the same icon to connect. In some cases, the school or organization may not allow the user account to connect with other users. In other cases, the user may not have verified their accounts on Schoology, which prevents their ability to connect with other users.
To search for a specific user:
- Click on the magnifying glass on the top menu.
- Enter the user's name and press enter.
- A list of users should appear in the search results. Look for the user with whom you'd like to connect.
- Click on the Connect button to the right of the user.
To search for users with common interests:
- Click on the Suggested Educators area on the right column of your Home page, or navigate to the My Connections tab in the People area on the left menu of the Home page.
- If you haven't already made a connection, you'll see the option to Explore.
- When you explore suggestion educators, Schoology automatically populates users with similar interests to yours. The more you build courses and content in Schoology, the better we'll be able to suggest users with common interests.
Note: Depending on the settings in place at your school, you may not see an area for Suggested Educators.
Once you’ve made a connection with another user, you’ll notice an additional column in your personal account settings for Connections. This additional threshold allows you to tighten certain privacy settings so that only those with whom you’re connected have access to view the information in your personal profile. It also allows you to determine users with whom you may communicate through Schoology messages.
You can also easily update or share information with your connections by creating a personal update (click on your name, and write an update from your profile). Normally, users must navigate to your profile to view your personal updates. However, when you have a connection, personal updates of connected users will appear in the Recent Activity feed on your Home page.
Connections also allow you to easily share personal resource collections. When you navigate to your personal resources and click on a collection other than your Home collection, you’ll notice a Share button. This Share button allows you to share with faculty at your school, and with connected users.
When one of your Connections shares a Resource with you, you will receive a menu notification in your account letting you know who shared and what they shared with you: