Courses are associated with grading periods in Schoology. At the end of the grading period, the course will be archived. The course will no longer display in the Courses list, making room for new courses. When a course is archived, Course Admins with permission to view archived courses can view the course in the Archived area of My Courses indefinitely.
Seven days prior to the end of a grading period, you may see a message at the top of Schoology with a warning that the grading period will end. In the course profile, you may also see a message at the top of the course with details regarding the approaching end-date. After the end date of the grading period, courses are not archived until a 24 to 30-hour grace period has passed.
If a course you administer has disappeared from the Courses, it may have been archived. See Help! My courses are missing! for other scenarios in which a teacher might not see courses in this area.
- No course content or enrollments will be lost during the archival process.
- Depending on the settings in place at your school or organization, archived courses may not be visible to you or your students. Click the Support link in the footer of Schoology to reach out to your Support Contact for help.
- Instructors can still enter grades in archived courses however, depending on how your organization exports grades, they may not pass back to your SIS. The grades will pass back if the grading period is still open to accept grades in the SIS. For this reason, we recommend reaching out to your Support Contact if you need to enter grades when the grading period has passed.
- Archived courses are not accessible from the Schoology iOS or Android apps.
To view archived courses:
- Click Courses at the top of the page.
- Click My Courses on the right.
- From the My Courses area, click Archived to view past courses.
If you'd like to reactivate an archived course and keep the same course material and roster of students for a longer period of time, extend the life of the course by adding a grading period. This process may vary based on how your organization provisions courses and enrollments.
If you are a System Administrator, you can also change the dates of the grading period. Changing the dates of the grading period affects all courses in your school or organization that are associated with the grading period.
Adding Grading Periods at the Course Level
If you are a teacher and want to add a new grading period to your course, the steps to do this will vary based on the version of Schoology you are using.
To add a grading period to a course (Enterprise):
Enterprise teachers whose courses are not managed at the school or district level may add grading periods with the following steps:
- Click Course Options under the course profile photo.
- Select Edit Info.
- Select an active grading period.
- Click Save to complete.
To add a grading period to a course (Basic)
If you are a teacher using the Basic version (if you see Upgrade in the top left corner of Schoology), then you can edit and add grading periods from the Grade Setup page in your course:
- Access the course.
- Click Grade Setup in the menu under the course photo.
- Click Edit next to Grading Periods & Final Weights.
- Fill in the information to Add New Grading Period.
- Apply the new grading period to the course by ticking the checkbox.