Google Apps for Education
After provisioning users into the system (for example, through Imports), you may integrate with Google Apps for Education to authenticate users into Schoology using their Google Apps login credentials. This feature enables you to authenticate users using their Google username or email address.
It also requires one of the following:
- The Username field to match users' prefix of their email.
- The Unique ID field in Schoology to match the corresponding Google Drive credentials.
- The Email field to match users' Google Apps for Education email addresses.
Google SSO by Username or Email Address
To set up Google SSO by Username, the prefix of the email must match the Username field in Schoology. If you're provisioning users from your SIS, the Unique ID will most likely be populated by your SIS.
To set up Google SSO by Email, the email address must match the users' Google Apps for Education email address.
To complete setting up external account management:
Change Your Landing Page
Once you've successfully established the link to your Google instance, click Save Changes and click on the Custom Domain tab.
Here you should see that your Domain Type has been set and and your Domain Alias has changed to your school's custom subdomain. These are configured by working with your Schoology Implementation or Project Manager during your school's implementation process. If these fields are not configured in the Custom Domain tab, contact Schoology Support.
Change the Landing Page dropdown from Schoology Log In to External Account Provider and click Save Changes. Changing the landing page is the important final step in enabling your Google SSO configuration. Once you click Save Changes, your users will be able to log in to Schoology using your custom domain and Google credentials.
This permission will only appear if you have already configured Google SSO for your organization. If you do not see this permission once Google SSO has been configured, please contact your Client Success Manager.
Install Google Drive for Your Entire School
As the System Administrator of your school or organization, you can pre-install the Google Drive Resource App to all users, or to certain roles in your school.
- Click the App Center in the left menu of your Home page.
- Find the Google Drive app.
- Click Install Resource App.
- To add the app to your school or organization, click Add to Organization.
- From the Organization Apps area of the App Center, click Configure next to the Google Drive app.
- From here, you will find directions to configure the app.
In Google Apps domains, the domain administrator can grant to third party applications domain-wide access to its users' data — this is referred as domain-wide delegation of authority. The following tasks have to be performed by an administrator of the Google Apps domain:
- Go to your Google Apps Admin console. The URL should look like this: https://admin.google.com/AdminHome.
- Go to Security controls > Advanced Settings.
- Under Authentication select "Manage third party OAuth Client access".
- In the Client name field enter:
- In the One or More API Scopes field enter: https://www.googleapis.com/auth/userinfo.email,https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive.
- Click the Authorize button.
- Once you've authorized your Google Apps for Education account, you can check the box to Enable Domain-Wide Access.
Note: Users must have a primary email set up within Account Settings. These emails must match between Schoology and Google.
- Click Save Settings to complete.
- Once the app is configured, click the breadcrumb at the top of the page to go back to the Organization Apps area.
- Click Install/Remove next to the Google Drive app.
- Check the box to install the app for All Users. If you'd like to limit the app to certain roles, remove the check mark for the roles you would not like to access Google Apps in their Resources.
- Click Submit to complete.