The Grade Settings area enables you to set Grading Periods and Learning Objectives for your school or organization. As the System Administrator, you may be the only role in your school that can add or edit these areas:
Courses associated with current grading periods will appear in the Courses dropdown. Courses associated with past grading periods will appear in the Archived area of users' My Courses. Grading periods may also help organize the Gradebook Settings in the course.
Add a Grading Period
Add a Sub-Period
You can create a sub-period when creating your initial grading period, or you can add sub-periods later.
To add subperiods while creating a new grading period:
- Cick System Settings
- Select Grade Settings
- Click +Add New Grading Period
- Enter the Name and Dates for your grading period
- Click Add Sub-Period
- Enter the information for your sub-period(s).
- Click Add Period
If you have already created a grading period and would like to convert it to a sub-period, follow these steps:
- Click on the gear icon to the right of the grading period
- Select +Convert to Sub-Period
- Select the Grading Period to which you would like to add a sub-period
- Click Convert
- Converting a period to a sub-period will move any course materials currently associated with this period into the sub-period.
- Converting a sub-period to a period will move any course materials currently associated with this sub-period to No Grading Period. These materials can be re-associated with the correct period using the bulk edit tool.
Edit a Grading Period
Delete a Grading Period
System administrators can create percentage and point-based grading scales that will immediately appear in every course in your school or organization. This feature provides a simpler way to establish system-wide consistency.
Create system-wide grading scales
To create a system-wide grading scale, follow these steps:
Note: This grade scale will appear in the Grade Setup area of all courses in the school or organization.
Edit or delete grading scales
You may edit or delete grading scales from the gear to the right of each grading scale. Editing a grading scale from the Grading Scales area of the system will affect the grading scale in courses where it's currently used. To create a new grading scale without affecting courses, we recommend creating a new grading scale.
Once a grading scale is associated with a graded item in a course, you cannot delete the grading scale until all associations have been removed. If you want to "hide" grading scales from use, but need them to remain associated with past courses, you can set grading scales to inactive status. Learn more about managing grading scales here.
The Learning Objectives area enables you to create and organize learning objectives for your school or organization. In general, there are three areas in which learning objectives can be created: System Settings, Personal Resources, and Group Resources.
We recommend adjusting your Permissions to determine which roles in your system can create personal and group learning objectives. The permission that governs this ability is housed in the permission to Edit learning objectives.
System Learning Objectives
The Learning Objectives created in the System Settings area will be available to all teachers at your school. We recommend organizing your learning objectives into a folder structure, similar to that which you see for Common Core and State alignments.
Add a Custom Learning Objective
As a System Admin, you can create custome learning objectives for teachers and faculty members of your school or organization.
- Click System Settings in the left menu of your Home page.
- Click on the Grade Settings tab directly below System Settings.
- Select the Learning Objectives tab.
- Click Add.
- Select the option to add a Folder, Custom Learning Objective, or State Standard, Common Core, and other objective.
You can create as many levels of folders as necessary for your learning objectives. To add learning objectives directly inside of a folder:
- Click the folder name.
- Enter a title and description of the learning objective.
- Click Create to complete.
Delete, Copy or Move Learning Objectives
You can delete, copy or move learning objectives from the Edit menu when you check a learning objective.
- Check the box to the left of the item you'd like to delete or move.
- To select all items, check the box to the left of Add.
- Click Edit.
- Select the option to delete, move, or copy the item to another collection.
Organize or Import Learning Objectives
You may organize or import learning objectives from the Options button.
- Click Options to the right of the Add.
- Select the Reorder or Auto-arrange option to move items into different order. To reorder items, simply click, drag, and drop the arrows that appear to the left of each item.
- Select the Import option to import an XLS or CSV file of learning objectives.
- The file should contain a column for the title, and a column for the description of the learning objective.
- Select the folder into which you'd like to import the learning objectives.
- Attach the file, and Upload File to complete.
To learn more about Group and Personal Learning Objectives, click here.