- Everyone – The feature is visible to anyone with access to the Internet. This includes non-Schoology members worldwide.
- Schoology Users – The feature is visible to users logged into Schoology. This includes Schoology users in other schools.
- Organization – The feature is visible to all users in your organization (for example, Schoology District, Schoology High School, Schoology Middle School).
- School – The feature is visible to users in the same school (Schoology High School or School of Education for example). Users in multiple schools can see features marked at the School privacy level in all of the buildings they're associated with.
- Course – The feature is visible to members enrolled in the course.
- Group – The feature is visible to members enrolled in the group.
- Connections – The feature is visible to users with whom you’re connected.
- No One – The feature is hidden from everyone.
Be aware that course admin, group admin, and users may tighten the privacy setting for their own course, group, or personal accounts. For example, if the course privacy setting for Course Profile is set to School at the system settings level, the teacher of a particular course can set the course privacy setting for their course to Course. Similarly, users who set their Messaging feature to No One cannot send or receive messages.
If a user receives a Private Information message while trying to access an area of Schoology, you may be able to resolve the issue by checking the privacy settings.
Note: Changes to the Privacy Overrides area may take a long time to take effect across your entire school.
Parent/Visitor settings set the default parent permissions for every course and group in the school. Parents have "view only" access to their child's courses and groups. Visitors are not associated with the course, but may have viewing privileges if the course's privacy settings are set to Schoology Users or Everyone.
The following permissions help maintain the anonymity of your students from parents and visitors:
- Anonymous student names – This option displays student names as Anonymous. The parent can see the teachers' names and their own child's name, but all other members display as Anonymous. Hover over the tooltip next to the permission to preview this option.
- Hide comments – This option hides all student comments. The parent will be able to see comments made by the teacher and their child, but all other members' comments appear hidden. Hover over the tooltip next to the permission to preview this option.
Lock Parent/Visitor Settings
System Admins can lock the default setting for the permissions options so that course and group admins cannot adjust the default settings. To lock the parent permissions for courses and groups, select the checkbox for Lock settings for all organization courses.
Selecting the checkbox to Allow faculty to list their profiles in Schoology's directory in the Search Settings row at the bottom of the page enables faculty members to list their profiles in Schoology's directory. When listed, faculty members are searchable for other schools and organizations within Schoology, and enables them to make connections with educators outside of their school.