Schoology Home Page: Your Parent account compared to your child's Schoology information
Having a Parent account in Schoology is actually like having two accounts:
- Your personal account, with your own name and information.
- Your Child Activity view. From here, you can view Schoology from your child’s perspective—see what they see and receive updates about their activity.
To start, click the down-facing arrow next to your name and then select your child’s name to switch into their account. If you have multiple children associated with your account, all will be displayed in this area. The checkmark in this drop-down menu indicates which account you are currently viewing:
Child Activity View
Click the down-facing arrow next to your name and select your child’s name to view their activity.
From the home page, you can quickly view specific information about your child’s Schoology activity:
The Student Activity area in the center of the page displays your child’s recent submission, grade, and attendance information.
Switch to the Enrollments view on the home page to view a list of the courses your child is currently enrolled in, along with their grade. If the teacher or administrator has chosen not to display the grade while the course is in progress, a blank value displays under the Grade column.
Click an individual course to view grades received on assignments, assessments, and discussions from that course. Depending on the permission settings in place at your school, you may not be able to view content posted by other members of the course.
Toggle between current and past (archived) courses with the Current / Past filter next to Courses:
The Recent Grades/Attendance area lists graded assignments, tests/quizzes, discussions, and attendance marks for the student. To view the graded items and attendance marks, click the item you'd like to view.
The Overdue section displays a list of course materials your child did not turn in by the due date.
The Upcoming section displays a list of your child’s upcoming assignments and events.
You can view a list of your child’s current courses. Click the course name to navigate to the course profile as your child views it. Depending on the permission settings in place at your school, you may not be able to view content posted by other members of the course.
The Courses drop-down menu displays up to 12 courses. To display a full list of your child's courses, click Enrollments on the home page.
You can view a list of your child’s Schoology groups. Groups can be used for a variety of activities, from school projects to extracurricular teams and clubs. Depending on the permission settings in place at your school, you may not be able to view content posted by other members of the group.
The Groups drop-down menu displays up to 12 groups. To display a full list of your child's groups, click Enrollments on the home page.
Depending on the settings in place at your child’s school, this menu provides access to view the following:
A. Grade Report: Review your child’s grades for all courses.
B. Mastery: If your child’s school aligns materials to standard and learning objectives, you can check your child’s progress in this area.
C. Attendance: Review your child’s attendance for all courses.
The calendar displays past and upcoming events and assignments. To find out more information regarding a particular event, place your cursor over the title. A clue tip displays with the event type (assignment, assessment, event), the event's course or group, and the student name. Click the event to display more information in a pop-up window.
Your Account Activity
To return to your Schoology account, click the down-facing arrow next to your child's name and select your name. If you have linked accounts in Schoology, the school associated with each account displays under your name.
While toggled into your personal account, your own name is displayed in the top right corner. Your personal account home page displays activity related to any courses and groups in which you are enrolled, as well as school information from the school with which you are associated.
Similar to your child's Activity Summary, your Recent Activity area displays updates from the school, courses, and groups in which you participate.
You can filter the Recent Activity feed by:
- Most Recent
Click Most Recent and select your preferred feed view.
On the right column of Recent Activity, the Upcoming area displays a list of impending events and due dates for graded items in the school, courses, and groups in which you're enrolled. To view more details about the item, click the item name from the list.
Access your personal calendar from the calendar icon in the header of your personal account. Your personal calendar displays personal events you've created for your account, as well as events and assessments for the school, courses, and groups in which you're enrolled.
Create Personal Events
The quickest way to create an event is from the Recent Activity area on your home page. Click Event under Recent Activity. You may also create an event from your personal calendar.
To add an event from the calendar:
- Select the Calendar icon at the top of your home page.
- Click the date to which you'd like to add the event.
- Fill out the Event form.
- Optional: Attach a File, Link, Resource, or Audio/Video Recording from the bottom ribbon of the rich text editor.
- Choose an RSVP option. You can set it to Disabled, Only invitees can RSVP, and Anyone can RSVP (public event). Depending on the settings in place at your school, this option may not be available to you.
- Under Options, click the Comments icon to enable/disable comments.
- Click Create to complete.
Edit an event
To modify an existing event:
- Click the event to modify.
- Click Edit Item.
- Once you've made changes, click Save Changes.
Delete an event
To delete an event:
- Click the event you'd like to delete.
- Click View Item.
- Click the gear to the right of the event profile.
- Select Delete to complete.
Access your messages from the Messages icon (envelope) in the header. Depending on the settings in place at your school, you may be able to exchange messages with teachers at your school.
Check New Messages
When you have a new message in your inbox, the Messages icon in the header displays a new number.
- Click the Messages icon (envelope) to display a list of recent messages.
- New messages are indicated with a blue dot. Click the message you'd like to read in full.
- To reply to a message, write in the Message area, then click Send.
Check Sent Messages
- Click the Messages icon (envelope) and select View All.
- Click Sent Messages.
- To read a message, click a message you've sent in the past.
- To send a message, click +New Message.
- Fill out the form, and click Send to complete.
A recipient name automatically populates when you enter a teacher's name in the To field. If you're not able to send a message to certain users, talk to your child's teacher for further guidance.
Notifications & Requests
The bell icon in the header displays Notifications and Requests. Any time someone sends you a message, wants to connect, or does something that pertains to you or your affiliations, it will be made easily accessible in this area. Everything is chronologically ordered and clickable to make managing them simple.
Below, a parent receives an invitation to a join group:
To configure your account settings and default views, check out our article on account settings for parents.
At the bottom of every Schoology page, the new footer includes the following:
- Language Selector — Use this menu to set the language of your Schoology experience.
- Support Center — Access the Support Center to view your Support Contacts and/or support options, as well as links to the Schoology Help Center and Community forums.
- Schoology Blog — Navigate to our blog, the Schoology Exchange.