Importing Course Enrollments
Enroll users into courses at your organization from the Course Enrollments tab on the Import page.
- Schoology is optimized to process imports and exports (auto or manual) most quickly between the hours of 7pm to 6am Eastern Time (ET) from Monday to Sunday. Imports or exports that are run outside of this window will be slower to complete. Schoology strongly recommends performing or scheduling all imports, exports, and bulk deletions during this time frame, including manual imports as well as scheduled auto-imports, for optimal performance.
- The following features are not supported in courses containing more than 10,000 members:
- Grade Setup
- Media Album tags
Step 1 — Select file
The XLS or CSV file for import must contain the following columns:
Use Enrollment Type to determine whether the users in your spreadsheet are members (student) or admins (teacher) of a course. If your spreadsheet only has one type of user, you can select that type in the menu. For example, if the spreadsheet only has students, select Member in the menu.
If, however, your spreadsheet has users who will be assigned different enrollment types in Schoology, select Use Import File in the menu. The Schoology Enrollment Types (Admin or Member) display in the left column; enter the equivalent type from your spreadsheet in the fields in the CSV Value column.
In this example, Admins and Members are designated as 1 and 2, respectively, in the spreadsheet.
Select the grading period(s) with which the course sections listed in the import file are associated. Two options are available:
- Click Select Periods to choose from a list of your Schoology grading periods. In the following example, the selected enrollment types are applied to the three selected grading periods.
- Click Use Import File to match your Schoology grading periods to their equivalent values in your import file. In the following example, the existing Schoology grading periods display in the left column, and each equivalent from the spreadsheet has been added in the fields in the right column.
Enrollments imported via Import are a one-way import. The File Settings field displays four options to clear existing enrollments in Schoology with your import. Selecting any of these options will locate existing course sections by Course Code and Section Code/Section School Code, clear existing enrollment in the course, and replace admin and members with users from the XLS or CSV file. Adding the same user back into the course will restore content created by that user in the course.
- To prevent enrollments from clearing at the end of a grading period, be sure to remove past sections from your import file. These options will not clear enrollments from course sections not listed in the file.
- Checking one of these 'clear enrollments' options only clears enrollments for the sections that have one or more enrollment entries in your import file. If you do not have any users enrolled in a section in the file, the import does not affect the enrollments for that section in Schoology. For example, to clear all students, without having new students to enroll in your file, include only the admin in the import and check the options to clear student enrollments.
Learn more in our article on: Clearing Enrollments with an Import.
Please select the XLS or CSV file that contains the enrollment information for import.
Step 2 — Match Columns
In the second step of the import process, match the information from a Schoology Field to each column in the spreadsheet to provision users into course sections in Schoology.
Confirm the match by verifying the Preview columns list the correct information.
Step 3 — Preview/Confirm
The third step of the Course Enrollment Import process, Preview/Confirm displays a preview of the import so that you can make adjustments prior to running the import. Schoology previews your import using the first 500 rows from your file. Successful results will display green indicators and errors will display red indicators.
- Created Course Enrollments: Indicates new course enrollments that will be created once the import has processed.
- Updated Course Enrollments: Indicates existing course enrollments that will be updated once the import has processed.
- Errors: Indicates errors within the import process with details to help you diagnose the issue.
If the Preview/Confirm page displays an error, recheck your import file based on the feedback provided beneath the error. In the example above, the users cannot be found based on the User Unique ID provided in the import file. In this case, the admin would resolve the issue by checking the Unique ID in the import file against the Unique ID that appears in Manage Users for the user being enrolled.
Once you have resolved any errors, restart the import process again from Step 1 above. When the Preview/Confirm response looks correct, click Run to complete the import process for Course Enrollments. You will receive a green banner at the top of the Import page with a link to the Status Log.
The Status Log displays the results of the import process, queuing status, and time of completion. Click the caret to expand details of each import process.
The color indicators represent successful enrollments (green), errors in the enrollment process (red) and changes to existing enrollments (yellow).
The time displayed reflects the timezone associated with your account.
If an error is displayed, click the link in the Rows Affected column for details about the error. The first 50 affected rows will display by default, to view all errors encountered, click Download Full Report.