Schoology is now offering a new experience for elementary learners. The new experience enables teachers to display their courses and materials in a more simplified and visual format that is engaging and easy to use for young learners. Teachers can enable Schoology's Elementary experience for any course of their choosing. Students will then see an elementary-friendly user interface to interact with at ease.
The Elementary experience offers the following features:
- Simpler navigation: Students see a simplified course layout.
- New course view: Focused on a more visual and engaging experience.
- Brand new Assignment experience: Students have the ability to draw, record, photograph, annotate, and more to submit their work. The current phase of the Elementary experience enables students to take a photo, record audio/video, upload a file, type, and submit to the assignment.
- To get started with Elementary experience, system administrators can enable Course Themes from Feature Options. Once enabled, this allows teachers to set the Elementary course theme in any of their courses.
- We are continuing to build out features for this new experience. See Coming Soon to the Elementary Experience for upcoming functionality and follow our Product Roadmap to receive updates on the development of this feature.
- Watch our webinar on Getting the Most from Schoology's Enhanced Elementary Experience
For students using the Schoology mobile apps, see these articles:
What is the Elementary experience exactly?
The Elementary experience offers a simplified version of the course that is focused on engaging students in a more visual and efficient manner. Instead of the traditional course menu navigation on the left and Upcoming items on the right, students are presented with the most important content all at once. This includes a simplified course navigation menu on the left and folders and course materials displayed as individual cards on the main page. The course navigation menu provides access to My Activities (Materials page) and any installed course apps. When students access course materials, they are displayed in a more simplified full-page view.
Teachers can customize the look of their course by adding featured images for each material type and folder to further enhance their course and help increase engagement and stimulation.
Above: Course view in the Elementary experience. This view shows a simplified course navigation menu on the left, along with folders and materials displayed as cards for a smooth experience. Each course item has a Featured Image displayed to the left.
Below: Assignment view in the Elementary experience. Materials are displayed in a simplified full-page view.
Use the Back button to return to the previous page:
How do I enable the Elementary Experience for my class?
Teachers can enable the Elementary experience for any of their courses from Course Settings.
To enable the Elementary experience:
- From the desired course, click Course Options under the profile picture.
- Select Edit Privacy / Course Settings.
- Under Course View Settings, select Elementary from the Course Theme drop-down menu:
- Click Save Changes to confirm.
The Elementary theme changes the view of your course for students only. Additionally, there is not an option to select a course landing page since the Materials view is the main, simplified visual experience for elementary.
Teachers that wish to see the student view for the Elementary experience should create and add a test Student account to their course. Depending on your method of provisioning, this test account may be unenrolled after a daily sync. Contact your Support Contact if you have any questions about creating test accounts in your organization.
Who should the new Elementary Experience be enabled for?
Teachers may enable the new Elementary experience for any of their courses based on students’ needs, grade levels, or accommodations. Schoology built this new experience to better serve the needs of K-5 grade levels with an emphasis on pre-readers.
How do I preview the course as my students see it?
Teachers may use the View Course As feature to see how the Elementary experience displays for their students.
- In order to use View Course As, there must be at least one member enrolled in the course.
- Teachers who would like to use View Course As before their course members have been provisioned should contact their System Admins.
To preview a course:
- Click Course Options under the course profile picture.
- Select View Course As.
- Choose a student from the list and navigate the course from their perspective.
- Once you have finished viewing your course as that member, click Exit to return to your regular course view as a teacher. If you need to view the course as a different student, repeat the steps above.
Coming Soon to the Elementary Experience
- Ability to view the most recent course update.
- Photo, audio, video, and upload assignment submissions on the Android mobile app.
- Photo, audio, and video assignment submissions on the iOS mobile app for devices running iOS 14.2 and previous.
>> Continue to: Creating Course Materials for the Elementary Experience