You can import student demographic data, such as ethnicity, economic status, and special education status, into Schoology and view managed assessment results aggregated and filtered by those attributes from within the platform.
These reports will help educators identify need areas, set goals, and measure proficiency of sub-populations of students using managed assessment results.
- Creating Demographic Attributes
- Importing Demographic Associations
- Viewing Performance by Demographics
- Filtering Overall Results & Mastery Results by Demographics
Creating Demographic Attributes
To get started, AMP Administrators with the ability to Manage Users can import attributes into the Demographics area.
To add a new attribute to your Organization:
- Click the +Attribute button.
- Enter a name in the Attribute Name field.
- Click Create to complete.
Deleting Demographic Attributes
AMP Administrators can also delete attributes from the Demographics area of Manage Users.
To remove an attribute from your Organization:
- Click Delete to the right of the Attribute Name.
- If you are sure, click Delete to complete.
Importing Demographic Associations
Once Demographics are created, students can have one associated value with each of the created demographics. In order to associate a student with demographic values, the user must upload a CSV file containing the associations.
System Administrators can import demographics associations manually in the Import > Demographics area, or configure the Demographics section of Auto-Import.
Manual Import of Demographics
Step 1 — Select file
The CSV for the import must have a header row. Each subsequent row will represent a student.
The following columns must be included:
- User Unique ID
- Attribute Names to match those in the Manage Users area
Step 2 — Match Columns
Once the file has been attached, click Continue to match the columns of your file. You must map the Demographics created in Schoology with the header row of the file. For example, enter User Unique ID and the name of each attribute into the text box to the right of the corresponding fields.
Step 3 — Status Log
You can monitor the progress of your import in the Status Log area. Process times are displayed in your organization's local time.
Auto-Import of Demographics
Auto-Import for Demographics follows a very similar process to the manual process and the existing auto-import process.
A System Admin can configure auto-import of demographic attributes with the following steps:
- Define the SFTP server and credentials. This can be the same your other auto-import processes, or you can use a separate server specific to demographics.
- Define the path to the file on the designated SFTP server.
- Click Save at the bottom of the File Setup page to apply the new configuration.
- Click Continue to move on to Match Columns.
- Type the column headers from your CSV into the fields for each attribute to map the data in the file to existing attributes.
- Click Save to apply your changes.
The Demographics import will process with your scheduled auto-import, or you can click the gear icon to Run Now if you would like to initiate an import of Demographics.
- If a demographic attribute that had been configured is deleted, we will still process files but will log an error in the status log and will not import the corresponding column from the file.
- If your organization uses email notifications for Auto-Import, Schoology will send an email to the specified email address after the import process is complete. See more information on this feature here.
Removing Demographic Associations
To remove demographic values for students, follow the same process to import a CSV file with blank values in each student row for the desired attributes.
Viewing Performance by Demographics
All viewers of the Assessment Results can view the Demographics report for Managed Assessment results. The students included in the report will be shown according to the AMP Administration Permissions.
Above the demographics report, the average score and total number of students who were assessed is displayed.
Using the Demographic Attribute dropdown menu, the report viewer can choose from any of the demographic attributes that have been created in Manage Users with associated students.
When an attribute is selected, each demographic is displayed in alphabetical order. The number of students is displayed next to the demographic value in parentheses, and the average assessment score of those students is shown.
- The bar is red if the average of the students for a demographic value is below the average of all students.
- The bar is green if the average of the students for a demographic value is above the value of all students.
Filtering Overall Results & Mastery Results by Demographics
You can use the +More Filters option to filter results by score range, demographic attribute, and demographic value.
You can filter by multiple demographic values for the same demographic attribute. For example, you can select both male and female under the gender attribute. This filters the results to display all students who are male or female.
You can also filter by multiple demographic values for different demographic attributes. For example, you can select male and Hispanic under the gender attribute and race/ethnicity attribute. This filters the results to display all students who are male and Hispanic.
Once the filters are applied, the report will now be filtered to display only students who match the criteria.