This article contains the following information:
- Creating a Midterm/Final
- Setting the Grading Period of a Midterm/Final
- Midterm/Final in Grade Setup
- Midterm/Final in the Gradebook
- Midterm/Final in a Student Report
- Midterm/Final in a Gradebook Export
Creating a Midterm/Final
You can set any Test/Quiz, Assignment, Assessment, or graded Discussion as a midterm or final in Schoology. Setting an item as a midterm or final affects how the item appears in the gradebook and how its grade calculates in the course.
To set an item as a midterm or final, check Set as midterm/final when creating the material.
Setting the Grading Period of a Midterm/Final
Setting an item as a midterm or final enables you to weigh its grade against sub-periods in a grading period or against all grading periods in the course.
Note: You cannot assign a midterm or final item to a grading period that has no sub-periods, or to a sub-period.
- Weigh against sub-periods: Select the parent grading period next to Period when creating or editing the item to factor the grade into the grading period grade.
- Weigh against all grading periods: Select No Grading Period next to Period when creating or editing the item to factor the grade into the Overall Course Grade.
Grade Setup View
You can view how a midterm or final calculates in the course’s Grade Setup under Grading Periods & Final Weights. From Grade Setup, you can adjust the weight of the midterm or final just as you would a grading period or sub-period. You can also use the double arrow icon to drag and move the item. Moving the item can change the grading periods against which you’re weighing the midterm or final.
- If a midterm or final aligns with sub-periods within a grading period, it is weighted against those sub-periods and calculated into that Grading Period’s grade.
- If a midterm or final aligns with overall grading periods, it is weighted against those grading periods and calculated into the overall course grade.
To view and edit midterm or final grades, set the grading period to Final/Midterm Material Grades in the Gradebook.
Student Report View
Midterm and Final grades display in a Student Report exactly as you arrange them in Grade Setup. If you’ve weighted them against sub-periods within a grading period, they appear as a sub-period within a grading period. If you’ve weighted them against other grading periods within the course, they appear as a grading period.
Midterm/Final in a Gradebook Export
When exporting the gradebook, there are two choices:
- Gradebook as CSV
- CSV for import into other system
When Gradebook as CSV is chosen, items marked as Midterm/Final will be given their own column within the CSV file. These columns will reflect the titles of the Midterm/Final materials.
When CSV for import into other system is selected, each student will have each item in the course listed in rows and the Midterm/Final item(s) will appear as individual rows in the CSV file.