- Creating a Midterm/Final
- Setting the Grading Period of a Midterm/Final
- Midterm/Final in Grade Setup
- Midterm/Final in the Gradebook
- Midterm/Final in a Student Report
Creating a Midterm/Final
You can set any Test/Quiz, Assignment, or graded Discussion as a midterm or final in Schoology. Setting an item as a midterm or final affects how the item appears in the gradebook and how its grade calculates in the course.
To set an item as a midterm or final:
- Select Grading options when creating or editing a test/quiz, assignment, or graded discussion.
- Check the box for Set as midterm/final.
Setting the Grading Period of a Midterm/Final
Setting an item as a midterm or final enables you to weigh its grade against sub-periods in a grading period or against all grading periods in the course.
Note: You cannot assign a midterm or final item to a grading period that has no sub-periods, or to a sub-period.
- Weigh against sub-periods: Select the parent grading period next to Period when creating or editing the item to factor the grade into the grading period grade.
- Weigh against all grading periods: Select No Grading Period next to Period when creating or editing the item to factor the grade into the Overall Course Grade.
Midterm/Final in Grade Setup
You can view how a midterm or final calculates in the course’s Grade Setup under Grading Periods & Final Weights. From Grade Setup, you can adjust the weight of the midterm or final just as you would a grading period or sub-period. You can also use the double arrow icon to drag and move the item. Moving the item can change the grading periods against which you’re weighing the midterm or final.
- If a midterm or final aligns with sub-periods within a grading period, it is weighted against those sub-periods and calculated into that Grading Period’s grade.
- If a midterm or final aligns with overall grading periods, it is weighted against those grading periods and calculated into the overall course grade.
Midterm/Final in the Gradebook
To view and edit midterm or final grades, set the grading period to Final/Midterm Material Grades in the Gradebook.
Midterm and Final Grades in a Student Report
Midterm and Final grades display in a Student Report exactly as you arrange them in Grade Setup. If you’ve weighted them against sub-periods within a grading period, they appear as a sub-period within a grading period. If you’ve weighted them against other grading periods within the course, they appear as a grading period.