If your school is using the PowerSchool provisioning app to provision users, courses, and enrollments into Schoology, you can use the PowerSchool grade passback app to your Schoology courses to sync grades to your PowerTeacher Pro gradebook.
This article addresses the following questions:
- How do teachers configure the app in their Schoology courses?
- What information is transferred from Schoology to PowerSchool?
- What are FAQs and known limitations to the Schoology-PowerTeacher Pro integration?
The PowerSchool grade item passback app is installed in your Schoology course so that you can sync materials and grades from your Schoology gradebook to your PowerSchool gradebook.
You can use the PowerSchool app in your course to determine which categories in your Schoology gradebook correspond with the categories in your PowerSchool gradebook.
How do teachers configure the app?
- Open the PowerSchool app on the left-hand side of your course.
- When the app is launched, first save settings in the Configuration tab of the app.
- Map your Schoology grading categories to one or more PowerSchool grading categories. Depending on the grading categories in the course, teachers can map more than one Schoology grading category to a single PowerSchool grading category.
- If you've linked your sections in Schoology, you must configure the PowerTeacher Pro app in each of the sections. To do this, open the app from the left menu of the course profile. Once you have configured the first section, click Save, and then click the Section dropdown menu to toggle into a different section and continue configuration.
- Depending on the settings in place for the PowerTeacher Pro app, only Course Admins (instructors) may be able to launch the app from the course. System Admins cannot configure the app or sync graded items on behalf of the instructor.
- In order to sync items with PowerTeacher Pro, the corresponding category must be mapped in the Configuration area.
What information transfers from Schoology to PowerSchool?
Once the configuration settings are saved, teachers can view the status of graded items and grades from the Sync Status Log in the app. The column on the left displays the Title of the graded item. The column in the middle displays the date the item was most recently synced successfully.
The following information is sent to PowerSchool:
- The name of the graded item.
- The max number of points for the graded item.
- The due-date for the graded item.
- The grading category mapped by the teacher in the Configuration area of the app.
- The raw score a student received on the graded item.
- Whether the grade item has a status of Published or Unpublished.
If there has been an error in the sync, a red message icon will appear. Hovering over the icon displays a message that details the error.
FAQs and Known Limitations
- The integration does not currently allow mapping of attendance.
- The integration does not support percentage-based calculations. All scores in PowerTeacher Pro calculate as Total Points. Please keep this in mind when configuring category weights in Schoology.
- If an item is ungraded in Schoology, the item will not sync with PowerSchool.
- Error messages: In general, the best practice is to attempt a re-sync event if the status of the sync is Error.
- If you need to delete an assignment, do it on in PowerTeacher and then sync. If you delete on the Schoology side, the sync will not work as expected.
- Time to Sync:
- With the sync in the gradebook a sync can typically take up to several hours.
- The best practice is for teachers to re-sync individual assignments as desired only if they see the red notification icon in the Schoology Gradebook:
- The integration currently does not support syncing PowerTeacher Pro Standards-Based Grading data in PowerTeacher Pro.