Changes to student enrollments are common both at the beginning of a course's grading period and throughout the course life cycle. When students move from one section to another, instructors and system administrators may need to recover their grades from the previous section and move them to the new one.
Recovering and Moving Student Grades
Follow theses steps to recover student grades from the previous section and move them to the new one.
Step 1. Re-enroll the student back into the old section
Depending on your school or organization's settings, instructors may have an Add Members button in their Members area. If you have this button, add members by following these steps:
- Select the Members tab in the left menu.
- Click the Add Members button.
- Click the names of the students you need to re-enroll in the course. You can also search or browse without affecting the student you've already selected.
- Click Add Members to finish.
If you don't have the Add Members button, your System Admin must complete re-enrollment.
Step 2. Export the course's gradebook
To export the gradebook:
- Within the student's old course section, click Gradebook in the left menu.
- Click the menu icon (three vertical dots) in the upper-right corner and select Export.
- Select Gradebook as CSV. This spreadsheet is formatted similarly to how it is in Schoology, with the student names listed vertically and material titles along the top.
- Click Next. The CSV will automatically download.
Step 3. Add grades to the new section
You can either:
Manually add the student's grades into the new course section's gradebook.
Use the Import feature in the gradebook to add the gradebook CSV file from the old section to the new section.
- Students must be enrolled in the new course prior to import.
- Do not delete the header row in the CSV.
- Remove the rows for students you do not want to add to the new section from the CSV.
Import Grades: Match Columns
If you opt to import the CSV into the new course's gradebook, you will need to match the fields from the exported CSV to those in the gradebook.
To import grades:
- Within the student's new course section, click Gradebook in the left menu.
- Click the menu icon (three vertical dots) in the upper-right corner and select Import.
- Click Choose File and select your CSV file for upload.
- Click Upload File.
- Match the columns from your CSV file to the corresponding fields in your gradebook:There are several fields available for you to match:
|Unique User ID||The Unique ID field in Schoology, which is often a student ID assigned in the SIS|
|New Assignment||Select this option to create a new column in the gradebook, if an equivalent assignment does not already exist|
|Existing Assignments||The sub-fields below Existing Assignments are the names of assignments already in the gradebook|
- Once you've matched the Unique User ID and Assignments, leave the other fields blank and click Preview to continue with the import.
- Review the Student, Assignment, and Grades for import and click Confirm to complete.